The answer depends a bit on which programming language you prefer. If you're just starting out then I recommend learning C# to start with.
These engines will get your game done sooner and you don't have to know a lot to make good looking games:
- Unity: The first pick for beginners
- Godot: less capable than Unity but free to do whatever if you want to release the game
If you like to learn the inner workings of a game while making one you can try a game framework. Note that making a 3D game with just a framework will take significantly more time (weeks become months) so I recommend starting with a 2D game:
- MonoGame: a bit barebones but capable if you have time
- Libgdx: It's easy to use but uses Java
There are way more engines, frameworks and libraries to make games with but these will serve as an excellent starting point.
I recommend joining subreddit /r/gamedev for more information and semi-professional advice on all things gamedev.
If you can be a bit more specific on your needs/wants/desires for an engine it'll help like Measurity mentioned.
Some more specifics like:
- What languages do you prefer to use/code in/script with?
- What platform(s) are you looking to target?
- What development environment are you working in/on?
- What target architectures are you looking to release on? (Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, Apple iOS, etc.)
- What kind of game?
- What kind of control do you need over the engine, or just looking for simple and easy scripting and resource management? _________________
Cryengine is also fairly easy to learn/use. They have a third party assets marketplace like Unity as well as some free starter assets to use on your first attempt to help teach you the ropes. It's also completely free for personal use, including royalty free; it's also updated pretty consistently and is available on all platforms. In terms of engines it's just as versatile as any of its competitors with a large list of pretty impressive titles; Go peep the wiki list of the titles and see for yourself.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum