| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Negima I post too much
Reputation: 6
Joined: 22 May 2007 Posts: 2221
|
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:20 pm Post subject: halp with math |
|
|
plz help with algebra age problem
| Code: | A father is now 24 years older than his son. In 8 years, the father will be twice as old as his son will be then. Find their present ages.
|
So far I got this
| Code: | Let
Son=X
Father=x+24
In 8 years... |
Someone please help me with the next part. I can do all the solving after I find out with the father and son equal. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Negima I post too much
Reputation: 6
Joined: 22 May 2007 Posts: 2221
|
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:26 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Gloeilamp wrote: | | the father is 40 and the son is 16, 8 years later the father is 48 and the son is 24. | Please show your work so I know what you did for the next problem. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Reak I post too much
Reputation: 0
Joined: 15 May 2007 Posts: 3496
|
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:29 pm Post subject: |
|
|
// I are dumb.
Last edited by Reak on Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Reak I post too much
Reputation: 0
Joined: 15 May 2007 Posts: 3496
|
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:34 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Gloeilamp wrote: | | rEakW0n wrote: | The son is 6 years old.
Father = 30
Son= 6
In 8 years:
Father = 38
Son = 14
Father/2 = Son
There are more solutions, I guess. |
test results: you're a monkey
14 x 2 = 28 |
rofl ya true, I'm so dumb lol
I always hated these exercises
Last edited by Reak on Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
nox Expert Cheater
Reputation: 0
Joined: 09 Apr 2007 Posts: 227 Location: brooklyn
|
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:34 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| wait what the fuck im way too blazed |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Reak I post too much
Reputation: 0
Joined: 15 May 2007 Posts: 3496
|
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:39 pm Post subject: |
|
|
so like that
S+24=F
F+8/2=S+8 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Flyte Peanuts!!!!
Reputation: 6
Joined: 19 Apr 2006 Posts: 1887 Location: Canada
|
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:40 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Son = S
Father = F
Statements that make each situation true:
F = S + 24
F + 8 = 2(S + 8)
Substitute/Solve:
(S + 24) + 8 = 2(S + 8)
S + 32 = 2S + 16
S = 16
F = 16 + 24
F = 40
16, 40
Add 8 to both for the second answer:
24, 48 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
nox Expert Cheater
Reputation: 0
Joined: 09 Apr 2007 Posts: 227 Location: brooklyn
|
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:47 pm Post subject: |
|
|
x+24= y
y=2x
x+24=2x
24=x
figures out the future pair, just minus 8 for the others |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Noz3001 I'm a spammer
Reputation: 26
Joined: 29 May 2006 Posts: 6220 Location: /dev/null
|
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:50 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| 69 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
adrxone Grandmaster Cheater
Reputation: 0
Joined: 19 Aug 2007 Posts: 644
|
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:52 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| 42 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
RazZ91 Grandmaster Cheater Supreme
Reputation: 0
Joined: 20 Apr 2007 Posts: 1207 Location: Europe
|
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:53 pm Post subject: |
|
|
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|