Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Virus?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Konata Izumi
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Virus? Reply with quote

So I have two utorrent.exe's that open at startup. When I try to end them they say access is denied. My utorrent is not supposed to run at startup. When I right click them and open file location it opens the desktop and when I select properties it opens the system32 properties. Everything comes up clean on hijackthis and nod32 finds nothing. I am running mbam as I post this. Heres a screenshot, the one with the name set as utorrent is the one that I know is real. Should I worry?
Fafaffy
Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, its most likely a virus.
Make sure to have UAC disabled and be able to view hidden files and system files, then check your desktop for uTorrent and delete it.
Cryoma
Member of the Year

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you should be worried.
Get a startup manager and uncheck the other two.
Phox
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put all your crap on a flash drive, and wipe your disk. That's what I always do when I get anything that even remotely looks like a virus.
GG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Pho/x/ wrote:
Put all your crap on a flash drive, and wipe your disk. That's what I always do when I get anything that even remotely looks like a virus.

You sir, are dumb.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just do this to find out if it's a virus:
Delete uTorrent. Either go Add/Remove programs and uninstall if it's listed there, or just delete the uTorrent.exe

Both will work. Then restart, see if the uTorrent.exe's you're seeing here still load. If they do, you've got yourself a virus. If you think they aren't the most clever virus writers on the planet, you can just search for uTorrent.exe and delete all you find until you can restart and it's not there. Another good place to find them or what's opening them can be going in your registry and looking for any /Run or /RunOnce directory(there are only two. The actual best way to find the /Run's is to search for /RunOnce then look at the /Run that should be right above it) That or use msconfig(I honestly have no idea how well msconfig does this)

However, without doing the first thing I said, don't just assume they're viruses and kill them. Many applications will run little variants of themselves that do different tasks for them, allowing them to do multiple things without 1) Being caught by hackers, or 2) Completely crashing whenever one of their sub-processes crash.

For all you know, these are extremely important, so make sure it's not a virus first. (Like I said, just delete uTorrent, restart, see if they're still there)

Mini Engine v3.0
Mipla v1.0

Reposted old threads out of the MS section.
DURAN
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zelda_454 wrote:
Pho/x/ wrote:

You sir, are dumb.

Asshole atleast he said something
Hero
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open task manager> find process> right click> Open location.

Figure out where that bitch is son.
bfsdbsdfbdsfb
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you know windows button + R -> MSCONFIG -> Startup -> Uncheck µtorrent
elpacco

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zelda_454 wrote:
Pho/x/ wrote:

You sir, are dumb.
Explain how please?

I would do that personally, however I never get anything that looks like a virus. If I ever did, I would do that. It's way easier and cleaner than trying to salvage through to find and get rid of the infection.

FangBanger wrote:
What is the best way for a lv19 Soldier to solo Sledge on Borderlands?
Shoot him.
Konata Izumi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, It was a utorrent session that crashed and hung up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elpacco wrote:
Zelda_454 wrote:
Pho/x/ wrote:

You sir, are dumb.
Explain how please?

I would do that personally, however I never get anything that looks like a virus. If I ever did, I would do that. It's way easier and cleaner than trying to salvage through to find and get rid of the infection.
>You have a virus somewhere on your PC
That means it's in your files. If you can't delete it, that pretty much means that you don't know where it is.
But yeah get all those possibly infected files and put them on a flash drive, then get rid of the OS.
Yep.
GG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konr wrote:
elpacco wrote:
Zelda_454 wrote:
Pho/x/ wrote:

You sir, are dumb.
Explain how please?

That means it's in your files. If you can't delete it, that pretty much means that you don't know where it is.
But yeah get all those possibly infected files and put them on a flash drive, then get rid of the OS.
Yep.

Yes. If you have a virus it will just get copied onto the flash drive, then onto your fresh installation of Windows. Reformatting with hope of removing viruses is useless if you just copy them back.

Comp. talk moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Zelda_454 wrote:
Yes. If you have a virus it will just get copied onto the flash drive, then onto your fresh installation of Windows. Reformatting with hope of removing viruses is useless if you just copy them back.
Very true. You can't possibly know where the virus has hidden & you're most likely going to transfer it to your usb drive as well as I doubt he knows how to pinpoint the exact locations of the virus & exclude those from being copied. It might be worth the shot, but it's usually not.
elpacco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konr wrote:
elpacco wrote:
Zelda_454 wrote:
Pho/x/ wrote:

You sir, are dumb.
Explain how please?

Yep.
Well of course. I thought it was common sense that you use safe mode or a live CD for those things, but apparently not.

FangBanger wrote:
What is the best way for a lv19 Soldier to solo Sledge on Borderlands?
Shoot him.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: