Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C or C++? Or perhaps something else?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Infamous
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: C or C++? Or perhaps something else? Reply with quote

I'm curious as to know what the advantages of learning C over C++ or C++ over C, or if there's another language that surpasses these two. (aside from assembly, I'm learning that either way). Thanks in advance for your help deciding if I ever get around to deciding.
pyr0magex
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked into this a lot myself.

Well, as far as the "best" language goes, there isn't one. Different languages have their different advantages.

Right now, I'm learning C because I want to make a driver Basically, C++ is just an adding on to C, so it would be considered better. I've heard that there are a few differences though, so I started with C first cause it's what I need to know for what I want to make.

But in general, you can't go wrong if you learn C++. And by learn, I mean actually learn, not just play with the GUI.

I could be wrong, and I know what I said wasn't exactly clear, but I thought I'd say something.

Peanuts!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C++ is pretty much just C with classes.
appalsap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyte wrote:

That's what the name originally was, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Peanuts!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

appalsap wrote:
Flyte wrote:

That's what the name originally was, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.

If you want elaboration, you could just say that C++ promotes Object Oriented Programming.
appalsap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many more features than that, and the common theme is abstraction. C was created to give you the power of assembler with the gift of short code and portability, C++ was inspired by C's syntax but often cannot support C code for 'security' and what have you, and bloats everything in an effort to hide fundamental programming concepts (pointers, memory management) from you. Kind of like windows xp to vista.
Peanuts!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

appalsap wrote:
There are many more features than that, and the common theme is abstraction. C was created to give you the power of assembler with the gift of short code and portability, C++ was inspired by C's syntax but often cannot support C code for 'security' and what have you, and bloats everything in an effort to hide fundamental programming concepts (pointers, memory management) from you. Kind of like windows xp to vista.

C++ was also created with very large projects in mind. It is easier to manage a large project made in C++ then one made in C.
appalsap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Says who, says you?
Peanuts!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-117.html

I personally like C better anyways.
pyr0magex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the simpler an idea can be expressed, the easier to manage, but hey, that's just me.

I know if I started learning c++, I would get caught up in the Object Oriented part, and probably learn less. Appalsap, I thought I remember people saying that C++ handled pointers better. Maybe not.

My question, is how can you code a large form application, when C doesn't use forms, or doesn't have a form editor. (In all compilers I tried, I wasn't able to make a form in C). But I'm a newbie to all this stuff, so hopefully someone can correct me.

Btw... Those "Answers" seemed very contradicting. I wouldn't base a point based on that information.

Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm still undecided but it looks like I'm going more near C, I have more learning resources available to me for that anyways. (People the best resource of all! and then books) Hmm...what to chose...
pyr0magex

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want, I downloaded like 12gb of ebooks, I could send you some on C if you like
Peanuts!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Win32 for windows/forms. MFC is horrible.
Infamous
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be awesome if you could. I'll PM you which of my e-mails to send it to.
lXciD
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only say, if C can do it, so can C++...

Why bother with all these language which is better thing... Get pass this as fast as possible and start programming... All programming are all the same in their fundamental form... Be it assembly, C++, C#, VB.NET, Java, etc... There are all use to develop software... Its the user that matters, not the tool...

I agree you need to decide which language to learn because some language have their restriction. Like Java totally took control of the memory management portion and you wouldn't be able to develop very in depth window application with Java. You can't develop VB.NET or C# in linux... But you shouldn't be bother about which is better and more powerful... If you are given the power of the world, but you don't know how to use them... Its equal to you doesn't have that power...

Object Oriented Programming is a concept, not programming language. In the most basic form, They are just putting a hidden 'this' in front of the function parameter. If you program in C you will be doing almost exactly the same... Create structure, pass them to one function... pass them to the other function... and so on and so for...

You can't say functional is better than OOP... but I wouldn't say the other way too...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General programming All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: