Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding a unique item to my inventory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mordde
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Adding a unique item to my inventory Reply with quote

Hello, first time posting here after about 2 hours of research to no avail. I've decided to revisit NierAutomata after having completed it a few years back.

I want to start fresh from the start, but still have the DLC cosmetic that I unlocked previously.

Now, the trouble with this is that the cosmetic item is a one time pickup that can't be dropped or discarded. This makes it a value that I can't search for in any meaningful way because I can't cause the value to change unless I grinded for 20 hours and got the pickup, but that would defeat the purpose of cheating. I've found the item ID on the interwebs, but I can't seem to figure out how to actually use it to any meaningful effect. I've singled out a health item in my inventory and set the value to 1 so that I could theatrically change it's item id to that of the dlc cosmetic, but I can't seem to figure out how to actually do that step. There doesn't appear to be an obvious menu option for changing the item ID like there is for scanning for values and changing values. All the guides I've been finding have required changing the value of the quantity of the item you want more of and scanning a few times, but for a unique item, that doesn't seem to be possible.

I'm very new to cheat engine and I have little to no experience coding, but I'm happy to learn more. Any help with this issue would be super appreciated.
Birdi
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've found the quantity of an item, look nearby in the Memory Viewer and see if you can pinpoint the item ID of the actual item you're editing. It may not be directly next to it, be advised.

An alternative way to look for it is to check what you're currently selecting in menus. The game likely keeps track of what the current menu option is, to display item descriptions/names, etc.. so if you can hook into that cursor option to find the ID, you can also just change it on the fly like that when it updates, although it will take more work than luck here.

Considering you found the item ID of your goal, you should also easily be able to find the ID for the Health Potion or whatever else have you in your inventory.

Let's say you had a Health Potion and a Stamina Potion (I know nothing about Nier, so bear with this example) with IDs:
Code:

Health Potion: 100
Stamina Potion: 102
Unique Item: 5008

Select your Health Potion and scan for exact 100, whatever type they're stored in (4byte/float).
Then, select your Stamina Potion and scan for exact 102.
Repeat back to Health and narrow your search results down to as few as possible, then try changing the limited result list's values one at a time to identify which is real.

From there you can see what's writing to the "real" address value and edit the function itself, or be satisfied with just manually doing this once and not proceed further to create a script to do so later.

Add me on Discord if you want hands-on help: Birdi#0007
Cheating'sHard
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try searching for the item id of the first item in your inventory, then put another item in its place and do a next scan for that item's id. If you keep doing that you might find the item id currently in the first slot in your inventory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: