Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pointer points to ??? after opening Memory View

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alesto
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Pointer points to ??? after opening Memory View Reply with quote

Hey guys,

i opened a thread about this problem like over a year ago. Somehow i can't answer to that one, so i'm forced to open a new one right here. I'm doing that, because it occurred again and i now know how to produce it.

My problem is the following:

I got a pointer pointing to the right address (XCor), showing the right value. There is absolutely no problem with changing the value or it being not reliable.

But, when i'm searching for something else, f.e. HP and open the memory browser to watch the data some weird stuff happens. I can still find values, i can still edit them, so the handle to the process seems to be alright and the pointer in the table still points to the correct value, but if i open the edit window for the pointeraddress to look/edit (at) the offsets, it breaks and suddenly points to "???". The address for the XCor, the pointer is pointing to, has not changed, but from then on i can't "add it manually". It always points to ???.

From my newbie point of view, it looks like some bug in CE, like it suddenly can't follow the pointer anymore even if nothing has changed.

When i'm only searching values the pointer is absolutely reliable, it never breaks, so it has nothing to to with some sort of anticheat that kicks me out after some time. But after opening memory view (even if i close it soon after) the problem occurres.

It makes no sense to my, why the pointer should be affected in any way by opening the memory view.

Maybe someone can help me with that.

Thanks in advance!
Greetings
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic?
https://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=614253

I've had problems where the pointer scanner would find a base address in something CE controls: e.g. a pointer to whatever address you're looking at what instructions access. What exactly is the pointer path? You can replace the game's name with game.exe, but if it's something.dll and "something" isn't uniquely related to the game, leave it.

I guess it could be an anticheat triggering on something CE does when the memory view window opens, but I'd imagine the anticheat would be more direct about it.

Alesto
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for linking the thread. Somehow i couldn't log in while looking at this old thread and therefore i couldn't answer to it.

ParkourPenguin wrote:
This topic?
You can replace the game's name with game.exe, but if it's something.dll and "something" isn't uniquely related to the game, leave it.

Thats a pretty good idea, i should have been more clear about that. It is a path starting at the gameprocess, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Concerning the anticheat, that is exactly what i was thinking. If there is in fact an anticheat and it is able to detect me opening the memory view, why am i still able to search for values and edit them. The memory view uses the same handle doesn't it?
And in the end, the memory view does nothing different to reading process memory and just displaying it in a different form does it?

I got one more idea, that i will be testing out as soon as i got time for it. If that helped, i will put it on here for the future.

Thanks again for your answer!
Alesto
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alesto wrote:

I got one more idea, that i will be testing out as soon as i got time for it. If that helped, i will put it on here for the future.

I tried so much, but i just can't figure it out. I thought about the window "Memory Viewer" being detected, but its not. I even reversed the game.exe (which is luckily not packed at all) and found nothing.

Could someone share their knownledge, how the memory view could shatter up the handle?

I also tried older versions of CE and this still occures.

When i'm opening Memory View, the assembly is shown correctly and addresses are shown as "Game.exe + xxxx" and after like 4 seconds of opened Memory View there is a change in display. The relative addresses change into normal hex addresses and from now on, the handle seems to be cracked.

From now on also the pointermapcreation seems to stop working correctly.
After memory view was opened, i don't get any results with the pointerscan or with then produced pointermaps. Using pointerscan without memory view being opened before works like a charm.

A reattach is not possible for me, for i need to use the autoattach function.

Any more suggestions?

Thank you very much guys and have a nice day.
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the symbolhandler stops being able to recognize the symbol "Game.exe".
After that 4 seconds of having the memory viewer open and stuff goes wrong, execute this in the Lua console:
Code:
print(tostring(getAddressSafe'Game.exe'))

Could be the game doing something weird, could be a bug in CE. What version of CE are you using?

Alesto
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for replying again.

ParkourPenguin wrote:

Code:
print(tostring(getAddressSafe'Game.exe'))

I tried that. When i execute this code before opening Memory Viewer i get an address, so it seems to work well.
After opening the Memory Viewer i get an Error
Code:
Error[string"print(tostring(getAddressSafe 'Game.exe'))..."]:1: bad argument #1 to 'tostring' (value expected) Script Error

At the moment i'm working with Version 7.2. I tried 7.1 and a very old 5.6.
Exactly the same results.

What really confuses me, is that the game does not crash, like it does normally if it detects a program, that is not allowed running. Furthermore i can still search for values, i can still edit them and it works fine, just the pointer-related stuff and the memory view are "broken".
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one else seems to have this problem, so it's probably either that particular game or some third party software (e.g. antivirus) screwing with stuff. There's not much anyone else can do for you.

You'd have to debug CE to figure out exactly what's failing. Look through the source code to see how symbols get resolved. You might be able to narrow it down from inside CE using Lua, and DebugView can view strings passed to outputdebugstring. Compiling CE from source and debugging it is an option too.

Alesto
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your patience, time and effort to help me.

ParkourPenguin wrote:
No one else seems to have this problem, so it's probably either that particular game or some third party software (e.g. antivirus) screwing with stuff.

I know, that it looks like i'm the only one with this problem. Since i tested it with a completely fresh reinstalled windows and a reinstalled game and it still occures and it does only on this gameprocess, it has to be some weird game-reaction, that i just need to figure out and try to bypass.

ParkourPenguin wrote:
There's not much anyone else can do for you.

I just hoped, someone had similar problems and could share some knownledge.

Thanks again and stay safe y'all.
If i ever find a solution, i will put it on here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: