Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a low-level programming job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Necki
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Finding a low-level programming job Reply with quote

What's up boys. Recently graduated university and got my BSc. My study was mostly low-level focussed.. microcontrollers, C, OSes and shit. And of course stuff like CE is the bomb. But I was thinking, hey I want to learn more about all this stuff. Linux is awesome, assembly as well and C(++) of course. It seems fairly hard to find a job where you can combine all this stuff, you feel me?

I got an option to write firmware for a BMC at a startup, but I'd be the only engineer there and fresh out of uni. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Being a pentester seems like no fun either, I don't give two shits about mobile and web security. Reverse engineering is fun though, but only electronics/low level.

It just feels like ending up in web development or something like that would suck the soul out of me. Do you guys have any stories or advice to share?
atom0s

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I got an option to write firmware for a BMC at a startup,

If your goal is getting into low-level programming, then the job offer you have sounds perfect to get you started.

Take the job for the work experience and entry to put on your resume. Doesn't have to be where your career ends or your only job you will ever have. But the work experience in a professional setting is what future offers are going to be more interested in than your actual job at that place.

A lot of times, employers don't care what your skillset is, but rather what experience you have professionally in general. In programming, oftentimes you can get hired without knowing anything of the technologies used or the languages used if you show that you are a fast learner and willing to put in the effort to adapt to your new environment.

Having specific experience certainly does help depending on the situation, but it's not always the deciding factor of you getting a future job doing something you actually want to do.

Necki
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm worried about that BMC job, because I will be the only engineer with little experience. There's no senior to learn from. Just the owner who cannot write code, and a sales person. It seems intimidating.

Would it not be better to learn form a senior engineer?
atom0s

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necki wrote:
I'm worried about that BMC job, because I will be the only engineer with little experience. There's no senior to learn from. Just the owner who cannot write code, and a sales person. It seems intimidating.

If the job has one to learn from yea, never hurts to learn from someone else. If the owner is someone who has experience in the field, they may be able to get you needed resources or another developer to work with etc. Just depends on the job. Having more info now though does make that sound like less of a good opportunity than it sounded originally.

Necki
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom0s wrote:
Necki wrote:

If the job has one to learn from yea, never hurts to learn from someone else. If the owner is someone who has experience in the field, they may be able to get you needed resources or another developer to work with etc. Just depends on the job. Having more info now though does make that sound like less of a good opportunity than it sounded originally.

I am under the same impression. The employer is willing to hire a friend of mine, also a recently graduated embedded software engineer.

There is another opportunity for me to start my career as a red teamer at capgemini. Wonderful, but it's mostly infra/web apps. They are in the process of setting up a forensics department as well. I can get training and supervision here.

Eventually I want to get into embedded hacking though. IOT, cars, cameras, etc. Will I need to gain embedded software engineering experience for this?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for the embedded one. It's the experience that counts. And as long as you can figure out how to do things and not give up it'll be fine.

If you start doing webapps you'll be given more webapps offers in the future.
I had the same thing with embedded software. I accepted some database development projects (for generating data to send to sawing machines, but still), and while i'm quite good at database design, it's not where my heart lies

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
atom0s

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necki wrote:

Eventually I want to get into embedded hacking though. IOT, cars, cameras, etc. Will I need to gain embedded software engineering experience for this?

Understanding how the devices operate and how the firmware/software is written for them will certainly help with getting into hacking them. But, with the internet now how it is, you can find information covering any topic to get started without any real career or degree path previously. Programming, hacking, reverse engineering etc. are all very widely open-sourced topics.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: