Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few questions about Offsets, XMM registers and assembly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
user5594
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: A few questions about Offsets, XMM registers and assembly Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I've come back to CE and have been using regularly.
There are a few questions I have that will hopefully give me a better understanding of how things work and how to make slightly more complicated scripts.

1. Registers
Say for example I want to make a double coin hack. When I pickup 1 coin, it uses this instruction:
Code:
movss [rcx+rax*8],xmm6

What would be the correct way to add 2 coins instead of 1?
I cannot do addss,xmm6 and using something like the code below will increase it exponentially due to the multiplication. Am I missing something obvious?
Code:
newmem:

mulss xmm6,[something]
movss [rcx+rax*8],xmm6

originalcode:
movss [rcx+rax*8],xmm6

exit:
jmp returnhere

something:
dd (float)2

2. Offsets
Most of my scripts that do God mode and 1-hits kills utilize simple offsets like:

Code:
cmp [ebx+14],(int)0 //team number
jne originalcode
db 90 90 90 //take no damage
jmp exit

originalcode:
mov [ebx+08],0 //1-hit kill
xor edx,edx

What about something like the offset I referenced in my first question: [rcx+rax*8] ?
Is it as simple as double clicking on the instruction, reading RAX = 1B, and multiplying it by 8: 1B*8 = D8
Then if I were to use this in the Data Structure feature I would fill it with the address for the coin value subtracted by D8? "207E9406298-D8"

Screenshot for reference:

3. Assembly
When I'm making a script to add nops to an instruction, is there a method to dermine how many nops I should add?
I generally select "Replace with code that does nothing" and remember how many nops Cheat Engine automatically adds. Then I just go into my script and add the correct amount with "db 90 90 90 90" etc.

Thanks so much! Very Happy
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The value in the register xmm6 is the new value of the coins. Doubling that doesn't double the amount by which the coins are changing - it just doubles the number of coins.

Usually, there's code between the read/write from/to the address that adds the value. e.g.:
Code:
movss xmm6,[rcx+rax*8]
addss xmm6,xmm4
movss [rcx+rax*8],xmm6
In this example, xmm4 is the amount the value is changing by. You would want to inject at or just before the addss instruction and double that instead.
If that's not feasible, add the difference between the new value and the old value to the new value.

One of those two movss instructions in your code is useless.

2. That's equivalent to using rcx as the base address.
If I had to guess, you're probably looking for a structure that contains a pointer to rcx instead. Or maybe you'll get lucky and there will be something in other registers or the stack that you can use.

Those nop instructions (db 90...) are useless.

3. Use CE's script templates to make the code injection for you. CE will add the correct number of nops to pad bytes after the jump at the injection point to the next instruction.
If you're adding them inside your code, don't. It's probably useless.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: