Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Help. I'm Just Not Getting It

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  

am I dumb or what
yeah you're clearly stupid
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
what an idiot
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

Grimalkin
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Please Help. I'm Just Not Getting It Reply with quote

I have tried doing the tutorial but I really can't seem to get my head around this stuff at all. I can't even get past step 5.

It's saying things like "you got to this point so I assume you know" when I really don't understand at all. I have followed the directions, but I don't really have any idea what I'm doing and I'm going to need someone to really break this stuff down for me in layman's terms if I'm going to get anywhere with it.

The only reason I even need to use CE is to update the attack addresses in a frame data overlay application to aid my training in practice mode in Tekken 7. I have looked for guides specifically on how to do this but there don't seem to be any available. If someone could just run me through what I need to know in order to accomplish this much that'd be all I really need at this point.

It would probably help me best if someone would be willing to speak with me one to one about this, as I really don't seem to be having an easy time with this stuff despite having a pretty decent level of computer literacy even for a millennial. Code stuff just isn't my thing and I could really do with some hands on help with this if at all possible.
OldCheatEngineUser
Whateven rank

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can always ask for help, and there is something you should keep in mind:
- no body understands everything s/he do, read, or learn from the first time .. it takes time to memorize things as well as understanding them.

and if you consider yourself as a person who can understand and memorize everything s/he do, read or learn from the first time then you are obviously wrong and teaching you is waste of time.

STN wrote:
i am a sweetheart.
Grimalkin
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldCheatEngineUser wrote:
you can always ask for help

Thank you, I'm doing that now. I hope that doesn't reflect badly on me.

no body understands everything s/he do, read, or learn from the first time .. it takes time to memorize things as well as understanding them.

I understand. I'm prepared to take the time to learn whatever I need to know in order to do what's required for my purposes. I'm not necessarily looking to become an expert with CE, just to learn enough to get this frame data app to work right.

I do understand a lot of what is being said, it doesn't all just go over my head and I'm quite thorough about reading carefully and doing my best to understand. The main problem is that a lot of what the tutorial is directing me to do isn't being fully explained in layman's terms, frequently assuming a level of familiarity with certain concepts and technical terms that I have no experience with. I'm perfectly capable of following the directions, but I'm not really told why I'm doing all this or how it's going to help me update the attack data addresses in my frame data app.

There's a lot that I'm going to need to know that the tutorial isn't addressing, because CE is designed for a lot more than what I need to know for my specific purposes. For the same reason, much of what it is addressing isn't super relevant for what I need. It would be a great help to me if someone who understands this stuff can sit down with me and help me to figure out the parts that I need to know. I'm a pretty quick learner in all honesty and it shouldn't be hard to run me through the relevant stuff without too much trouble.
Meas
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to explain the main components of memory editing but feel free to copy-paste a topic into Google.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert on memory, CPUs or CE but hopefully this will help you ground yourself in the basics.

So when using Cheat Engine it'll help to know about:
- Process memory
- Threads and CPU cores
- CPU registers
- The stack
- Memory Pointers
- Assembler (especially x86-64)

Process memory: A process that you open with CE is just a big sequence of bytes (0s and 1s). Those bytes hold no intrinsic context/meaning other than just being there, stored in your PC's RAM. What makes it interesting is what the CPU, with its instruction set, can do with all that memory.
It's important to understand that those 0s and 1s can be displayed in numerous different ways. As a sequence of text (a string), 4-byte long integer, or what ever you want. That's why you have to specify the value type when scanning in CE because CE needs to know what you expect those bytes to be. Just to drive it home, the binary value 1011 can be read as:
- 11 in decimal.
- As two binary: values 10 and 11, meaning 2 and 3 in decimal.
- The order that bytes are read can be different. Left to right or right to left. The order in which your CPU reads bytes is called Endianness: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness

Threads and the stack: The way a process 'can do stuff', which is basically defined as moving bytes around in its reserved memory, is because some regions of that process' memory is being read by your CPU (specifically: the memory region in the process' memory containing the code/assembler instructions) via a thread.
A thread is, like everything else in CPU land, a block of memory for bookkeeping. This block of memory for a thread is called the stack and stores the values to keep track of it (every thread has its own stack). It can tell the CPU:
- Which instruction is the thread currently on? (Stored in 'instruction pointer' RIP register)
- What are the values of the CPU registers (with names like EAX, EBX, ECX etc..)? Used so that a CPU core can continue a thread's execution after pausing it.
- The call stack (part of the stack)
An analogy of a thread can be like your hands picking stuff up and putting it down. You have only 2 hands that can work simultaneously but a quad-core CPU has 4.

CPU registers: The CPU has its own special memory which are accessible through the registers (one copy of registers per CPU core for multi-threading). This memory is extremely limited (but VERY FAST) and is used to store and load results from previous instructions. You can view these values in the thread list in CE: Memory view -> View -> Threadlist (Ctrl+T) -> Expand one thread/item to view its registers with the values.
The value a register can hold depends on its size. You can read more about them here:
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/assembly_programming/assembly_registers.htm

Pointers: A pointer is just a number that points to a memory location (aka: address) inside the process' memory. On 32-bit processes its a 4 byte long number (Ex: FFA105E4) and on 64-bit processes its 8-byte long (Ex: 01020304A0B0C0D0). They are mostly used to point to a base address (aka "first byte") of a struct. A struct is a predefined memory block predefined by the programmer with a fixed size. Example: An integer itself is just a struct with a length of 4 (bytes). A string (text) is a struct with a size depending on how long the text is.

A player struct is a memory block that probably holds things like HP, ammo and other values of the player. It might be 1000s of bytes long, depending on the game, where the first 4 bytes might be the HP and the next 4 bytes the X position of the player. That's why you use CE! To find what these bytes mean!
So when you want to find a pointer to the player struct you have to find the location in memory (aka: address) that HOLDS another address (aka: pointer) to the player.
When you scan for the player's HP value and then do "Find out what writes to this address" on that address you'll get the instructions that write to the player value. Whenever you see "[EAX+4]" as part of an instruction in CE memory view it tells you that that instruction is reading the memory location pointed at by the value in CPU register EAX + OFFSET 4.

It can be useful to snoop around the memory region that a CPU register points to (which is the base address without +offset) because it's the first byte of a struct and can lead you to finding related values easily.

Assembler (particularly x86-64): When you open the memory viewer in CE while attached to a process you'll see the Assembler instructions that are written down inside the process' memory. The Opcode column shows what CE thinks is the assembler instruction based on the bytes it read at that memory location. Those bytes indicate what operation the CPU thread is going to do when it is on that instruction BUT it also contains the arguments for the operation. Example: first 2 bytes is operation, next byte is register to read from and 4th byte is value. Instruction size = 4 bytes.
The most common instruction (on X86-64 assembler) is probably "mov". It will move the value on the right-hand side into the left-hand side. Some quick assembler:

mov eax,1 = move the (hex) value 1 into CPU register EAX
add eax,f = Add 15 (F in hex) to the value stored in CPU register EAX

About modifying assembler instructions: If you change the instruction through CE it might complain about the change in instruction size. If your new instruction is smaller (fewer bytes needed) then CE can pad the remaining bytes with a NOP instruction which will have no side-effects. If it's larger then CE can either cancel the change or overwrite instructions that are after your changed instruction.
If you want to learn how to change instructions without breaking the code you can lookup "Cheat engine Auto assembler" tutorials.
Grimalkin
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measurity wrote:
I'll try to explain the main components of memory editing

- Process memory
- Threads and CPU cores
- CPU registers
- The stack
- Memory Pointers

Honestly, thank you so much for trying to help. The amount of information you gave me there is exactly the kind of thing that would be useful to someone who was trying to use CE for it's normal intended purpose.

However, I'm only looking to use it for one very specific thing that doesn't require all of that technical knowledge. I think what I really need is to speak with someone one-to-one, perhaps over discord or something, so that I can very quickly and easily explain what it is I'm trying to do. That way it'll be much easier to provide me with straight answers that are going to be useful rather than heaping a bunch of general information on me that's both more than I'm bargaining for and largely irrelevant to my needs.

Would it be possible to speak to someone on a more direct basis to get some back-and-forth going and work this out the easy way?
OldCheatEngineUser
Whateven rank

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are the basic technical knowledge you need in order to achieve something, i willsend you my discord ID.

look at your PM's from here https://forum.cheatengine.org/privmsg.php?folder=inbox

STN wrote:
i am a sweetheart.
schooluser
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimalkin wrote:
Measurity wrote:
I'll try to explain the main components of memory editing

- Process memory
- Threads and CPU cores
- CPU registers
- The stack
- Memory Pointers

Honestly, thank you so much for trying to help. The amount of information you gave me there is exactly the kind of thing that would be useful to someone who was trying to use CE for it's normal intended purpose.

However, I'm only looking to use it for one very specific thing that doesn't require all of that technical knowledge. I think what I really need is to speak with someone one-to-one, perhaps over discord or something, so that I can very quickly and easily explain what it is I'm trying to do. That way it'll be much easier to provide me with straight answers that are going to be useful rather than heaping a bunch of general information on me that's both more than I'm bargaining for and largely irrelevant to my needs.

Would it be possible to speak to someone on a more direct basis to get some back-and-forth going and work this out the easy way?

Grimalkin about your "you've gotten here so you should understand" comment...

I kind of felt that way about what I'm trying to do, and have asked people questions, but I think that's what is stopping me is that I don't have all of the technical knowledge to do it. I even took programming in college and learned about assembly and registers and such, but trying to do this one thing stumps me... and really, I think it's because I forgot all of the things I learned in school.

Now I've completed the regular cheat engine tutorial up to code injection and I'm trying to do the game cheat tutorial and I've found that on the very first game tutorial it's doing the very thing I was trying to do in the game I was working on... and it's still stumping me

I was hoping to get all the way into making my own AOB script so I could learn how to update someone elses AOB script but with the difficulty curve and no one to talk to face to face to explain this to me I feel it's something I won't be able to accomplish in my leisure time.

If you get to understanding this in a way that makes it really stick with you. please let me know... until then I will frustratingly waste my leisure time trying to learn and if I ever get to where I understand I will be happy to try and explain it to you...

these are the basic technical knowledge you need in order to achieve something, i will send you my discord ID.

look at your PM's from here ...

OldCheatEngineUser I don't mean to hijack this thread, and I can't PM yet, but I was wondering if your offer to him could be temporarily extended

I'm having trouble grasping some of the technical aspects of this, and trying to do the later cheat engine tutorials is difficult to me because I have trouble understanding what it's trying to say...

I will read more on this post, and I will be looking for other posts with cheat engine tutorials to try and get more info and learn more about it, but I was wondering if maybe on a weekend sometime in the future would you be available to spend an hour or so chatting about this so I can develop a framework to understand this and really figure out what it is I need to learn so it's not so confusing

If you are willing to spend an hour or two talking with me please let me know
jgoemat
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add that if you are stuck and someone helps you so you overcome the problem, try to keep track of what helped you out and post it. Maybe the tutorial could be improved or expanded to make it easier for others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: