Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do people find addresses of RNG elements in games?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bunny_Wabbit
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: How do people find addresses of RNG elements in games? Reply with quote

For example, missing in Earthbound or any RPG doesn't reduce their HP by 0, it just doesn't affect their HP whatsoever, and I imagine it doesn't write to its address. I think this is a gap in knowledge I have amongst values that can just flick on and off, like the address that quickly decides what dungeon you access in the Legend of Zelda on the Nintendo - which isn't RNG but I thought I'd give it as an example of a value that only gives a visible result in an instant.

Would you have to monitor what the address 'attacking' writes to, and wait until the character misses, and then observe how that value changes over the course of the battle?

Edit: Actually, I don't even know how you'd find an address that simulates an attack button, so scratch that possibility.
MrViZZion
Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through the player structures or mapping the game engine and then finding out different functions.

This is pretty advanced though and not for the faintest of heart.
predprey
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting a search by tracing backwards from a button variable is not a good idea. The instruction responsible for what you actually want would probably lie far away from the one accessing that variable unless what you want has something to do with button and controls. You have to think from the POV of the developer, how you read and poll for hardware input and perform the respective functions in the game. The high level function you want to find is most likely coded in a manner that it is buried deeper than the button function call and also much further ahead than it. Thus, at the low level ASM hacking, tracing from here is not a very good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: