Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does CE identify the name/path of WOW DLLs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burningmace
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: How does CE identify the name/path of WOW DLLs? Reply with quote

I'm working on a DLL injection scanner. I'm trying a bunch of different techniques to identify DLLs that have been loaded into the process:

• CreateToolhelp32Snapshot and Module32First/Module32Next
  • EnumProcessModulesEx
  • Parsing the LDR entries manually
  • Walking the memory space and calling GetModuleHandleEx with GET_MODULE_HANDLE_EX_FLAG_FROM_ADDRESS
  • Walking the process space with VirtualQuery to identify executable allocations that return a fail status when GetModuleHandleEx is called, then check to see if the allocation starts with 'MZ'.

The first four methods show most of the DLLs loaded but fail to identify wow64win.dll, wow64cpu.dll, or wow64.dll in the process. The final method identifies the spaces where these DLLs are loaded, but trying any of the usual avenues to retrieve the DLL name just results in failures. If I inspect the process with CE and directly go to the memory addresses, CE displays the proper DLL name along with the page info. How does it find that name?

The only thing I can think of is that the WOW64 DLLs are not identifiable from within the process itself because it's a 32-bit process, whereas CE can because it's a 64-bit process. I know there's meant to be a "shadow" LDR for WOW64 but when I tried to get it (NtQueryInformationThread to get the thread information, TEB pointer from that, PEB pointer from that plus a 0x2000 offset, LDR pointer from that) I find that the LDR pointer is null. This is regardless of whether I offset the TEB pointer by 0x2000, which is weird.

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

call EnumProcessModulesEx twice. once for 64 bit and once for 32 bit

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Burningmace
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I've been calling it with LIST_MODULES_ALL and not seeing the WOW64 modules, but will give it a go with LIST_MODULES_32BIT and LIST_MODULES_64BIT separately.

As an aside, any idea why I'm not getting LDR data for the PEB32 here? In fact the whole PEB32 struct looks broken.

Code:

0:005> !peb
Wow64 PEB32 at 8f9000
    InheritedAddressSpace:    No
    ReadImageFileExecOptions: No
    BeingDebugged:            Yes
    ImageBaseAddress:         0000000000a50000
    Ldr                       0000000077af7ba0
    ***  _PEB_LDR_DATA type was not found...
    *** unable to read Ldr table at 0000000077af7ba0
    SubSystemData:     0000000000000000
    ProcessHeap:       0000000000080000
    ProcessParameters: 0000000000081f98
    ***  _CURDIR type was not found...
    WindowTitle:  '< Name not readable >'
    ImageFile:    '< Name not readable >'
    CommandLine:  '< Name not readable >'
    DllPath:      '< Name not readable >'
    Environment:  0000000000000000
       Unable to read Environment string.

Wow64 PEB at 00000000008f8000
    InheritedAddressSpace:    No
    ReadImageFileExecOptions: No
    BeingDebugged:            Yes
    ImageBaseAddress:         0000000000a50000
    Ldr                       00007ffbdd3dc360
    Ldr.Initialized:          Yes
    Ldr.InInitializationOrderModuleList: 0000000000c92ca0 . 0000000000c934f0
    Ldr.InLoadOrderModuleList:           0000000000c92e10 . 0000000000c934d0
    Ldr.InMemoryOrderModuleList:         0000000000c92e20 . 0000000000c934e0

This is just in a regular MSVC 32-bit executable on an x64 box, nothing fancy going on.

EDIT: Just tried EnumProcessModulesEx and passing either LIST_MODULES_32BIT or LIST_MODULES_64BIT gives the exact same list of modules, neither showing the WOW64 DLLs. Really confused now.

EDIT2: The plot thickens. Running the lm command on the process does show the WOW modules... and the Wow64PEB LDR data does show the WOW modules too. So now I'm wondering if I've really screwed up my LDR walking code somehow.

ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's documented behaviour:
Quote:
EnumProcessModulesEx function
This function is intended primarily for 64-bit applications. If the function is called by a 32-bit application running under WOW64, the dwFilterFlag option is ignored and the function provides the same results as the EnumProcessModules function.
source
The purpose of wow64 is to emulate a 32-bit environment. Accordingly, this should be as transparent to the application as possible. There's no official way of doing what you want to do AFAIK.

Try looking into undocumented functions (e.g. NtWow64QueryInformationProcess64; github).

Burningmace
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I literally just this second got it working. I realised that I was getting bogus results because the data from WinDbg didn't match what I was seeing in my process, and swapping between 32-bit and 64-bit WinDbg produced different results too.

The mistake I made was reading the PEB64 as a PEB structure in the x86 process, which of course is compiled as a 32-bit struct rather than 64-bit.

The first step was duplicating the PEB, PEB_LDR_DATA, LDR_DATA_TABLE_ENTRY, etc. structures and replacing pointers with PVOID64. Then I wrote a wrapper around NtWow64ReadVirtualMemory64 to allow me to read the 64-bit memory space. Then I wrote a variant of my LDR enumeration function that reads the structs from 64-bit memory as it goes rather than using direct pointers.

It's now working and I can dump all the module names! w00t!

atom0s

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual mapped modules will bypass these API's and the PEB list entirely. You will have to resort to manual scans of the memory regions and such. Don't rely on PE headers either as they are commonly stripped from memory once the DLL is injected. Keep an eye out for hooks and such as well on the given API you listed above too for hiding methods.

Lower level will need to be taken into effect as well since ring0 hiding can be used making all the user level API useless for finding anything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General programming All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: