Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie questions about CE's stability, DBVM and first use

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qrt
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions about CE's stability, DBVM and first use Reply with quote

Greetings

Newbie here. I'd like to start using Cheat Engine, but I have some questions I hope you'll help me with.

My system:
CPU intel i7 (not overclocked)
8 GM RAM
win10 x64

First of all, for the time being, I want to use it only with 'Dark Souls II SoFS'.

My questions:

1. Regarding the stability of the program, I see some reports of Cheat Engine users having freezes or BSOD.
    Do these freezes and BSOD occur only when using DBVM (with kernel debugging), or it may happen even without DBVM, i.e. it might be caused by the game and its Anti-Cheat protection that may cause BSOD??
    I currently don't have any problem with my system (freeze/hang/BSOD, never) so I just hope to keep it that way, or at least know what to expect after starting using Cheat Engine.

2. Regarding DBVM, I see in the wiki that it's
    Quote:
    "DBVM is a ultra-lightweight virtual machine host that makes Windows run in a virtual machine so that Cheat Engine can operate at a higher level than the OS using a device driver. Instead of virtualizing devices it generally passes on interrupts unaltered meaning it has a very small impact on performance.

Cheat Engine can make use of these added instructions to make game modification and debugging easier. Especially in Vista 64. To make use of it, just boot up with DBVM, which will then boot up your operating system, usually windows, and Cheat Engine will automatically detect that DBVM is loaded and make use of the added functionality."

So, is DBVM just an alternative, more advanced way for Cheat Engine to work, that makes things easier? Or it actually required in order Cheat Engine to work on specific games? I don't plan on using DBVM, that's why I'm asking.

3. The suggestion I've read in the wiki and in the forum that, in order to help decrease your chances of crashing when starting DBVM, to disable Virtualization of the CPU and lower the number of CPU cores to use, only applies to when using DBVM, right?
    In other words, Cheat Engine by itself(default mode) doesn't have to do with those suggested tweaks?

4. (in order not to open a separate thread) Regarding the game 'Dark Souls II SoFS', I would like for a start to increase the value of 'souls', (and then try one of the posted cheat tables (.CT files) for the game).
    Do you happen to know whether Cheat Engine works ok by itself in this game (at least for me to manually increase the souls value) , or it needs some plugin (something like 'stealthedit')?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited by qrt on Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
qrt
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: older versions of DBVM where more prone to freezing
2: only when you need it. (when normal debugging methods don't work or when you wish to use ultimap and wish to specify specific ultimap2 ranges)

3: virtualization has to be on on the cpu for dbvm to use. again, old version

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
qrt
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for replying.
broly7
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
1: older versions of DBVM where more prone to freezing
2: only when you need it. (when normal debugging methods don't work or when you wish to use ultimap and wish to specify specific ultimap2 ranges)

3: virtualization has to be on on the cpu for dbvm to use. again, old version

Just for information, that may lead to know what problem is.

If you Open CE, with already kernel debugger + Extra Openprocess/rpm/wpm
And try to toggle breakpoint in theattached process, you will BSOD, (cause we skipped the settings->Green letters to load dbvm)

If the Thread you bp is too quick, and leave F9 pressed to release the bp, and breaks too quick, it will bsod.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: