Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am new to finding pointers and I'm having trouble...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graesholt
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: I am new to finding pointers and I'm having trouble... Reply with quote

My experience with Cheat Engine so far has amounted to "search for value, change value in-game, search for new value, change value in cheat engine, hold party", however, I am now looking to read some memory adresses with an AutoHotKey script, and therefore I need to learn how to find the correct pointers.

I have watched numerous tutorials, but none seem to address the issue that I have.
If someone would walk me through this one, I would be very grateful.
It basically amounts to the first address I find already being green, which I understand means that the adress is static.
However, when I then restart my PC, the address changes, but remains green, which I don't quite follow, as I thought it was static before...

This might be a SUPER n00b-issue, but I'm sort of at the end of my rope here, and coming up with nothing.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Screenshot 2018-05-17 10.13.34.png
 Description:
My guy's health address, isolated and thought (by me) to be static.
 Filesize:  36.88 KB
 Viewed:  1289 Time(s)

Screenshot 2018-05-17 10.13.34.png

Screenshot 2018-05-17 10.18.04.png
 Description:
The same health address, isolated after a restart. The address has changed, but it still claims to be static...
 Filesize:  37.11 KB
 Viewed:  1289 Time(s)

Screenshot 2018-05-17 10.18.04.png

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you doubleclick a green address into your addresslist it will be static (static as in it will be at the same distance from the start of the gamemodule as last time)

If you save your table like that, and then restart the game and reopen the table, you will see that CE has adjusted the address for you, and very likely pointing to the correct address.

You can see how it works by doubleclicking the address in the addresslist (bottom) and you'll see it will have a notation like : blabla.xxx+xx10e4 instead of the full hexadecimal address

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Graesholt
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
When you doubleclick a green address into your addresslist it will be static (static as in it will be at the same distance from the start of the gamemodule as last time)

If you save your table like that, and then restart the game and reopen the table, you will see that CE has adjusted the address for you, and very likely pointing to the correct address.

You can see how it works by doubleclicking the address in the addresslist (bottom) and you'll see it will have a notation like : blabla.xxx+xx10e4 instead of the full hexadecimal address

I see.
Thank you for your response...
A man in a youtube video that I am not allowed to link seems to be able to call a value directly by way of pointer.
However, I don't have a pointer as such, but only the value you describe, in relation to the game.
So the next question becomes, what do I do with the value you describe, in order to find the health value I want during a given game instance?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in your game you don't need a pointer. just modulename+offset. ce will fix it for you automatically

in another game you could try the pointerscan or debugging to find the pointer path taken

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Graesholt
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
in your game you don't need a pointer. just modulename+offset. ce will fix it for you automatically

in another game you could try the pointerscan or debugging to find the pointer path taken

Thanks again for your help.
By looking and googling for a million years I finally found that I need to add the moduleID in order to acess the value via AutoHotKey ;P
Now I know.
Thank you, and topic closed...

I don't actually know how to close a topic...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: