Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help with corrupt registry key.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HiSaZuL
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Need help with corrupt registry key. Reply with quote

Long story sort of short. For the... I don't even know which number at this point, something needed a dll, which was part of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2015... and I cried on the inside because I can't install it because entire updating, installing, later troubleshooting and diagnostic have been broken since first months I installed OS many many years ago... once again googled, ton of useless garbage...
Then found an article that at least didn't suggest automated garbage repair methods sprinkled with chicken feet and naked dancing under the full moon.

5 minutes later found a registry key that is completely borked. It cannot be deleted, renamed, accessed... nothing. If you are going to tell me about permissions please kindly walk away.

Not sure if the key became this way due to "bit flip" what ever that is, or simply because the name is so terrible it took a symbol and interpreted it sideways... point being the only way I can see myself fixing it is by exporting the branch, creating the the offending key manually then actually adding things to it... because it's blank or maybe it can't be displayed... nothing works on that key so I have no idea... it won't even export like the rest. Then renaming existing one and then importing it back. Sure it will be rotting there for all eternity or at least until a format... but it's better then running into this headache every few months.

Problem is, the only log file that mentions it... has it garbled, not as severely as registry editor where it is literally just symbols but it is still wonky and format looks broken and I'm not sure what is part of the name... what isn't. I got a very "general" idea on the whole thing to begin with and this is not helping.

I used CBS.log from windows folder, think it's generated by some auto repair nonsense. Not sure.

Here is a snippet:
Code:

2017-08-03 10:37:06, Error                 CSI    00000035 (F) STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND #2996002# from Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::DirectRegistryProvider::SysOpenKey(flg = 0, key = {provider=NULL, handle=0}, da = (KEY_READ|KEY_WOW64_64KEY), oa = @0xeccef0->OBJECT_ATTRIBUTES {s:48; rd:NULL; on:[271]"\Registry\Machine\{bf1a281b-ad7b-4476-ac95-f47682990ce7}GLOBALROOT/Device/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy10/Windows/System32/config/SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Winners\amd64_microsoft-windows-]\u00ef\u00c2\u00fc\u00b6x\u00f9\u00ccS 7\u00b2\u00cb\u0096\u00f00C\u0081\u0095\u0083+%\u008b\u00ad\u00c4\u0089`\u00fb\u00d2\u00ebkW\u00a1\u0090|\u00ce\u00f2\u0095^\u0098\u00a7[gle=0xd0000034]
2017-08-03 10:37:06, Error                 CSI    00000036@2017/8/3:14:37:06.999 (F) d:\win7sp1_gdr\base\wcp\sil\merged\ntu\ntsystem.cpp(3676): Error STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND originated in function Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::DirectRegistryProvider::SysOpenKey expression: (null)
[gle=0x80004005]
2017-08-03 10:37:07, Error                 CSI    00000037 (F) STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND #2996001# from Windows::Rtl::SystemImplementation::CKey::OpenExistingKey(f = 0, da = (KEY_READ), oa = @0xecd3b0, key = NULL, disp = (null))[gle=0xd0000034]

So weird... forum displayed it in the most clear way without using wiggly crap... and crosses or in RegEdits case chinese chicken scratche sprinkled with the worst most terrible emoji collection.

Anyway... if I add it manually to exported reg file, which never wants to include that damn thing... is it suppose to look like this:
Code:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Winners\amd64_microsoft-windows-]\u00ef\u00c2\u00fc\u00b6x\u00f9\u00ccS 7\u00b2\u00cb\u0096\u00f00C\u0081\u0095\u0083+%\u008b\u00ad\u00c4\u0089`\u00fb\u00d2\u00ebkW\u00a1\u0090|\u00ce\u00f2\u0095^\u0098\u00a7]

? What is that "[gle=0xd0000034]" stuff, why does it break the line and drops another one on next line by itself, doesn't fit the log format and even notepad ++ sits it on its own line... why is the argument not closed with " " " or " ] "...

Halp? Please make your explanations, directions, etc as retard friendly as possible.
Prehistoricman
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did this happen in the first place?
atom0s

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone with a similar issue about a near identical key:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-delete-registry-key-that-is-causing/a81adda2-8e17-4cb1-94ee-56ab095ab2a6

There is a solution in that page that the OP said worked for him that you could try.

HiSaZuL
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh yeah, seems like idential issue with different key. I did get rid of the key earlier pretty much as was described. Export the tree, rename it, delete it(will get rid of everything except corrupted one) then import the list created earlier. While exporting the key will not be added. I added it manually... and later just deleted it...

Result? Windows update can at least find updates instead of just giving an error. But I think after more then 5 years of being in this state it's too late. Updates still fail left and right... even the 8? out of the 100 that initially went through failed to configure on restart. There is a total of 1 update(manually installed) that has been applied with date later then 2012 lol. Ah well... it's time to give up, for the 100th time.

Only progress I basically made is that I have an interesting unremovable registry key - https://donothidebehinduniformresourcelocatorshortenersjustpostthewholeurlhereinstead.gurgle/photos/FEkW58erWYj86DGR9 (these forums have a fucking fit because of google share link?.... that is ... so... retarded.... )
atom0s

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only other thing I would say is try using the system recovery management tools to ensure your system files are all ok. Or try using a previous restore point if you have them enabled. Outside of that, your best bet may to just be reformat and start over if you have that many issues with built in features to Windows.
HiSaZuL
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom0s wrote:
Only other thing I would say is try using the system recovery management tools to ensure your system files are all ok. Or try using a previous restore point if you have them enabled. Outside of that, your best bet may to just be reformat and start over if you have that many issues with built in features to Windows.

Hehe, one of microsofts most common solutions for 2015 C++ red, killed system restore entirely. It looked inane so I avoided using but eventually I tried... system restore has not worked since Razz Every time I try microsoft "fix" more things break. It is kinda hilarious. I do belive I tried repair, I either had to restore from it or it didn't do jack as usual. Don't recall really... all answers usually boil down to your hdd is broken!!!!!111eleventeen, um. here is a log saying your full of shit, care to try again?.... topic closed!

I'd reinstall, I really would... if I didn't have to reinstall 1.7TB worth of software afterwards... nope... don't wanna touch that. If only microsoft had a brain... and had manual means of bypassing their own convoluted horseshit. But that would require a brain... so that 2015 red is that one thing that always comes to bite me in the ass. Find some cool project, find out they are using 2015... and you are like... well I'm out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: