Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what happened
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazper
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like a fake request. There's been a ton of chatter on the Elder Scrolls Online board about Cheat Engine because apparently Bethesda are stupid idiots that can't program their way out of a shoebox, and designed an MMO with no server-side checks. This allows players to cheat with Cheat Engine even though it's online.

The combination of the wording of this "request" and the DDoS makes me think it's one or more of the users there that's gone vigilante on Cheat Engine.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The emails were from ESA, can't fake that.
Kazper
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STN wrote:

Actually faking emails is pretty easy. That's a major part of the Phisher's toolkit. Of course without seeing the exact mail (in raw form) it's impossible to say.

Edit: (That said fake or real I do not blame DB in any way for his reaction. He's the one with the risk here. Just thought I should point that out)
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kazper wrote:
STN wrote:

Actually faking emails is pretty easy.

Yep, I concur.
You can send an email from any SMTP server and you can forge email headers to your heart's content.
If you don't have a CA to verify signatures, you can't trust signed emails, either.

You should (and this is not specific to Dark Byte's case) always verify the identity of the sender, for example, by calling them.

Knowing Dark Byte, I am pretty sure he's done that, so stop asking about it, will you? It's getting boring.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^

Obviously you can fake emails and fool people who don't know computers but you can't fake emails to people like Dark Byte. It's honestly stupid you guys even think that, DB can write DBVM but is clueless on checking a simple email's validity?. I don't know how you code that but i knew how you can fake email headers a decade+ ago as probably the second thing i learned after gamehacking.

So yeah, lets get past that "email was fake" debate...it's stupid. It probably looks cooler in movies where everyone else but the hero is extremely stupid, not in reality

LostInThyme
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading the thread and I wanted to say thank you Dark Byte for all your work on Cheat Engine.
0xDEAD10CC
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've read the whole topic and as I pretty much expected nearly no one of game players/cheaters live in a real world good enough to make sense out of the situation.

Dark Byte wrote:
perhaps it's something stupid as copyrighting 'godmode'

e.g if a game sells godmode and cheat engine gives the user godmode, that can be seen as 'unlawfully acquiring in-game rewards and/or items'

The things even more simpler and stupid.

ESA is a legal body to 'fight' interests of it's fellow members. Bunch of lawyers to put it simple. So for a living they have to present the 'jobs' they done to their members to raise the funds.

One of these 'jobs' is to fight 'copyright infringement', and since digital publisher management hardly know the difference between 'trainer', 'cheats' and 'no-cd' and no one of those who know will ever read cheatengine site/forum or check out the program itself, ESA people can safely put the site's name in the reports of 'deceased illegal activities' or whatever they call it in the report. And ESA people always has an option to shield themselfs as 'not thecnically qualified enough' to see the difference between CE tables and no-cds.

So the threat to DB / CE site/forum make no sense for any random reasonable person by the very fact that it has no legal or business reason.

Yet the real world is not moved by 'reasons' or 'the right things'. There are some games for it though. Very Happy

As for the tables I'd humbly suggest to put a links to fearless site as for 'tables' from main page and the forum index and consider that one as an 'official' table-dedictated sub-forum.

The links are needed mainly to keep community in one place. The user base sync will also help a lot.

Best regards to all CE-community and specifically to DB, who happens to be main the target here and one of many copyright witch hunt victims.
SinStar87
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte's point in that post was the ESA didn't list a specific reason, they simply listed the forum as violating IP as he stated, for their threats of a suit, but people keep asking "well what table/thing did they cite as offending?!" cause they think that then the table, or whatever, can be deleted and everything goes back to normal.

My Paypal link if you want to send me some money for whatever reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
0xDEAD10CC
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems quite clear there isn't any way to 'fix' the situation. So it's better start think how to minimize the losses.

To 'outsource' table-related part of the forum seems the best way as for me.

I'm also quit sure if Dark Byte make a call for a help with that (or any other way to go) there wouldn't be a lack of helping hands.
SinStar87
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already been outsourced by other people. The Fearless forum you mention is one such place. But Dark Byte has nothing to do with that.

My Paypal link if you want to send me some money for whatever reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
atom0s

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dump of the cheat tables that were public is posted here:
https://gitlab.com/cef.table.archive/cef.table.archive

crashoverride93
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that sucks. I don't know if you were already using it but cloudflare is amazing with ddos attacks. Some really huge sites use it for protection.

copyright strikes are fucking unfair, whoever brings it up first wins even if its false. Move to another host if they are giving you trouble for this, some hosting companies are assholes when it comes to these things and don't listen to reason.

iweb sounds like a shitty host, my brother's company had a web messenger that was constantly getting ddosed by a rival company for months and the hosting provider they used actually helped them with setting up firewalls and other measures/suggestions to make sure their site won't go down. I thought it was standard on these expensive dedi servers.[/quote]

Just putting this out there but cloudfare makes it impossible for people with slow internet connections to access the site
atom0s

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crashoverride93 wrote:
Man, that sucks. I don't know if you were already using it but cloudflare is amazing with ddos attacks. Some really huge sites use it for protection.

In Cheat Engine's case it would not help. The site is established already and the IP to the site is well known. Setting up cloudflare wont help any since people can still hit the original IP ignoring Cloudflares DNS altogether and still DDoS it. In order to make use of CF, Cheat Engine would need to be given a new IP or move hosts altogether to avoid cluster attacks on known registered IP ranges with his current host.

Along with this, other steps need to be taken to avoid IP leaking, such as setting up a remote / custom SMTP server to handle board emails that erase the SMTP headers from the origin otherwise the box IP will be present and so on. Overall cost wise it is probably not in Dark Bytes budget for what little he makes in donations from Cheat Engine.

crashoverride93 wrote:
Just putting this out there but cloudfare makes it impossible for people with slow internet connections to access the site

This is not true. Cloudflare sits as a middleman for the DNS of the site with extended features that can be disabled such as caching. I have terrible internet that fluxuates between 2/1 to 12/2 (Mbps, down/up respectively) and have never had issues with Cloudflare. I use it personally on several sites of my own as well.

STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crashoverride93 wrote:

Huh? How?

++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he means DDoS?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: