Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why I dislike windows 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the sheep that use windows 10 without questioning that's going to cause the biggest annoyance for me though
More and more people get computers with Windows 10 that have Safe Boot enabled.
The problem with windows 10 and Safe boot (especially new installs starting from august) is that they do not run drivers that are not signed by Microsoft explicitly. You have to send them the driver, and if it's not safe enough or hurts the EcoSystem of windows (e.g kernelmode adblockers, competing products, or things that could potentially bypass DRM, like a memory scanner), they will not sign it.

And it's only a first step, i'm sure eventually all software that runs with Administrator access will need to be signed by them as well, and if they don't like it, screw you

Of course, this requirement is easily disabled if you disable Safe Boot, but most people just piss their pants when you tell them that. And it's likely that certain software will refuse to run in the future if Safe Boot is disabled

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
mgostIH
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
It's the sheep that use windows 10 without questioning that's going to cause the biggest annoyance for me though
More and more people get computers with Windows 10 that have Safe Boot enabled.
The problem with windows 10 and Safe boot (especially new installs starting from august) is that they do not run drivers that are not signed by Microsoft explicitly. You have to send them the driver, and if it's not safe enough or hurts the EcoSystem of windows (e.g kernelmode adblockers, competing products, or things that could potentially bypass DRM, like a memory scanner), they will not sign it.

There's such a thing as kernel mode adblockers? What are those?

sbryzl
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything that reroutes or blocks an ip address within the dns client would function as kernel mode adblocking, ie editing the hosts file.
mgostIH
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbryzl wrote:
Anything that reroutes or blocks an ip address within the dns client would function as kernel mode adblocking, ie editing the hosts file.

Couldn't that be possible just by editing windows' firewall registry keys?

sbryzl
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah or you could go through group policy or the registry, there are probably other ways too. I think I used the wrong Latin abbreviation.
CyberD3m0n
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STN wrote:
If it wasn't for all the bad press windows 10 got, everyone would be loving it. The mentality of the population is like sheep, you can guide them where you want if you know how to manipulate them. That is what happened with windows 10. People who are so dumb, they don't know how to turn on their computer are worried about Microsoft spying on them when they give their most intimate info to Google and Apple when they use their cellphones but its okay because nobody is talking about it.

Linux does have its place though, for servers because they're free and doesn't take a lot of resources which is essential because the servers sold are really shitty and crappy. They have no place for a personal computer though.

I agree people are dumb, posting all their intimate shit to Facebook and other fucktard sites. However, I disagree that companies like Masosoft or Apple should do - well - what they do. I agree with more and more Linux distributions. If MS wants to fuck off its honest customers, so be it.

magellenproject
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: UUrrggghh... Reply with quote

I'm just glad I haven't had, or needed, to update to windows 10 Yet...
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you never will need to.
paupav
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't we choose not to install update and why is firewall automatically turning on?
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can choose not to install it and you should choose a decent firewall (stay away from US shit). Use Germany or Russia-based firewalls.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still love windows 10. No issues at all.
atom0s

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
And you never will need to.

With how software and hardware manufacturers are collaborating nowadays this may not be entirely true for too much longer. Windows pushed a hardware enforcement with Windows 10 on Intel's newer chipsets (ie. Kabylake) that block you from installing Windows 8.1 or lower on certain CPUs. This is only a software sided limitation at this time and has been bypassed but in the future, we may start seeing hardware enforced restrictions like this as well.

As newer hardware starts coming out, and driver requirements for that hardware continue to evolve, manufacturers may drop support for older OS's entirely preventing their hardware from working altogether or causing no driver support at all for previous OS's.

At that point, you will be left to either upgrade, move to another OS altogether, or find/make hacked drivers for previous OS's work for the newer hardware etc.

Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't fall for the marketing crap, you are smarter than that.
If you swap the processor, it will still work, but MS won't give you more patches.
You need a workaround like this for that and you can keep your Windows 7 forever.
I imagine CE could be used to create a trainer for this, too Very Happy
BTW, fresh install will also work because the images out there already don't include any such CPU checks (and why would you grab a new image that screws with your mojo?).

Windows 7 is far better than Windows 10, sorry.
There may be a time when Windows 10 will be as good as Windows 7, but it's been two years now and still nothing.
So, for now, it's say to say 'never'.
If Window 10 would be that good, people would not have to think about upgrading - they'd happily do that out of their own will.
I, for one, will wait until MS patches all backdoors that can be exploited - that's one of the benefits of the source code leaks earlier.
atom0s

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Don't fall for the marketing crap, you are smarter than that.
If you swap the processor, it will still work, but MS won't give you more patches.
You need a workaround like this for that and you can keep your Windows 7 forever.
I imagine CE could be used to create a trainer for this, too Very Happy
BTW, fresh install will also work because the images out there already don't include any such CPU checks (and why would you grab a new image that screws with your mojo?).

I already mentioned patches like this in my post. Like I said that is a software sided limitation/enforcement. That does not include hardware sided enforcements that could be implemented in the future with how things are going now.

Also swapping the processor completely defeats the purpose of what I was talking about. If you are keeping up with latest hardware and not just using a 4790k for the rest of your life, these enforcements are going to land up affecting you sooner or later.

I don't use or encourage the use of Win10, I personally use a heavily modded/locked down version of Windows 8.1 myself. However, I'm also not ignoring the fact of what is going to happen sooner or later in terms of what hardware companies will start doing. There are a lot of hardware level projects in development now that can and will change a lot of things in the markets in the next 10 years or sooner. Some are exciting projects that will help further computer systems, some like these restrictions, are just creating more headaches.

Either way, they are coming, and pretending they're not isn't going to make the problem not happen.

Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I suspect MS will have to make a deal with Intel to force people jump onto Windows 10. Eventually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: