Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Simple way to add address as an offset of another one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alastair412
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Simple way to add address as an offset of another one? Reply with quote

Good day,

Long time user but clueless (and first time poster here).

While saving a table of values I found, through sheer luck or the sheer genius of CE, the address was saved as an offset of the game address (game.exe+OFFSET1).

Based on this, I have two other addresses I need for my purpose, one which is always exactly OFFSET1 +#30, the second one which is always OFFSET1 -#F340 (let's call this OFFSET2).

Thinking I was being smart, I entered the next two simply by recalculating the offset value. For OFFSET1+#30, no problem, when I start the game and load the table, the address gets calculated.
But for the second one, it doesn't - it shows (game.exe+OFFSET2) instead with value ??

What confounds me is that if I manually calculate the address based on the first one (substracting Hex F340) and add that address manually, it gets me right where I want it to be.

So I have two questions:
1. Any idea why (game.exe+OFFSET2) doesn't get calculated when the other two work?
2. Is there another, simpler way to calculate addresses as an offset from another address in my table? I'm looking for something like (Timer -F340) for instance, whereas Timer is my address (game.exe+OFFSET1)

LUA / Assembler and pointers somehow escape my limited grasp.

Any help appreciated.
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that we'll need to see the actual addresses to guess your issue, but I may be wrong.

You can try adding a symbol for the base address - open the memory window and press ctrl+u or choose user symbols from the menu, then add the base address and a friendly name. After, you can use the friendly name in place of the address.

Alastair412
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I didn't know about user symbols, but it looks right like what I needed.

For the troubleshooting portion, the addresses were:

Base value: (nba2k15.exe+2A6F240)
The +30: (nba2k15.exe+2A6F270)
The -F340: (nba2k15.exe+2a5ff00) which doesn't resolve on opening but works with manual calculation.

Note that the first two are doubles, the last one a float. Don't think this plays a role but just in case... (and I've checked, the table entries all have the right types).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: