Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making 1999 game run in a 640x480 window

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russki1
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Making 1999 game run in a 640x480 window Reply with quote

I am having trouble to get this old game to run in a window. I have spent the last 2 days investigating but still no success. The closest I got was changing the style of 1 of the hardcoded CreateWindowEx styles to 00CF0000 making it have a border (or changing the last call to CreateWindowEx style). This now allows me to minimize the game with a debugger running without having my screen lock black. But my desktop is still resized to 640x480 as this is the games only supported resolution.

Any help to figure out how to get this game to run without resizing the desktop would be greatly appreciated.

If I switch Windows users after the lock, the desktop restores itself and the black screen (client draw area) only occupies 1/4 of the desktop. Which is what essentially I am trying to achieve, but naturally.

DXWnd dump privatepaste /a4085a1bdc
IDA Trace privatepaste /80c3b05715
GDI32 imports privatepaste /5164a2f12a

IDA Trace shows that the last calls are SetWindowPos then ShowWindow makes the client screen take over the desktop.
rindew
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the game you are trying to window use directX ? if it does i may have a solution.

EDIT: Actually, just let me know if this helps
makeuseofDOTcom/tag/2-ways-force-directx-applications-launch-windowed-fullscreen-windows/
russki1
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Does not use DirectX. It uses a bunch of layered windows, I got the windows launching with WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW flags>

Then retted the call to ChangeUserDisplay in User32. With some help from BH.

Now the desktop does not resize + the window is in a window.

BUT, something is still painting a black background over everything around and behind the window if the window is active. This last piece I cannot figure out what it can be. The game uses DWM API, maybe something in there?

EX1: Blocked call to DWMCreate imgurDOTcom/eVDn0GV. Results in exceptions + crash. But no black back screen.

EX2: imgurDOTcom/4QfdFXb This is how window looks currently, only problem is the black backscreen getting drawn over everything. Which APIs have the power to do this?
rindew
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...I need to replicate. What is the game you are trying to window?

EDIT: If I was having that much trouble I would give up and run the game on a virtual machine hahahaha. then you could have it exactly the way you want. Razz
russki1
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binary: speedyshareDOTcom/n57gr/Client.rar
Full: speedyDOTsh/mBATk/LastKingdom.rar
Loader /w trace hooks: speedyshareDOTcom/gwaBE/LKLoader.rar

Yea but I cannot debug it with olly remotely. I am using remote IDA debugging now to try and find the encryption.
rindew
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep getting a connection fail msg when i try to load the game...any solutions hahahaha
russki1
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set any simple TCP server and bind it and set the IP to local host. 127.0.0.1 /w port in address.addr.

But you dont need to load the game i think to disect the 3d issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: