Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


after using metro ui for about a week

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Random spam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
br0l0ck
Cheater
Reputation: 63

Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 36

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: after using metro ui for about a week Reply with quote

its not as functional as the original start menu + a shortcuts menu on the taskbar(will show pics) and is pretty unnecessary
everything else in win8 is fine

example why its worse: original start menu and a shortcuts menu will not take up the entire screen, so you can see what youre doing while opening another program.

the original start menu is close to where the start button is, so theres less travel for your mouse, instead of metro where you go from the bottom left corner to the middle of the screen

everyone knows metro ui was for touch screen devices, and I think it should have stayed that way. without metro ui, win8 doesn't have enough features, it could have just been a service pack

using Classic Shell:



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aniblaze
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme
Reputation: 138

Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 1757
Location: The Netherlands

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back on Windows 7, because of the following reasons:

#1 Login UI
Did not care for it at all. Plus if the screen goes dark and you start typing, it'll give you a 'wrong password' warning because the screensaver image blocks character entry for the first few button pushes.

#2 Metro UI
Like you said, blocks the entire freaking screen, and without a touchscreen it's just weird to keep using it. Besides, it doesn't allow for easy access like the start menu did when you have a multitude of applications to select from.

#3 Quick Menu
Horrible, horrible system. I use multiple screens, and this means I have to point my mouse to the corner with an absurd accuracy or otherwise the menu simply won't show. Due to the Metro UI being limited in the amount of applications it can hold, I have to use the search functionality in this menu quite often, and it caused quite a bit of stress.

#4 Windows Explorer
Menu on top changed to something incomprehensible. Now you just have to guess that the tiny folder icon creates a new map. There were a few other things I had a problem with on this one, but I can't remember since I switched back to Windows 7.

#5 Support
Not really a Windows 8 issue, but some applications and games (like DOTA2, or a randomly crashing Java VM), do not work for me on Windows 8. So I'd rather hold off until this becomes a true and blue non-issue.


All of the above made me feel that Windows 8 is not for me, and most importantly, as you once again said, more for a tablet or PC with touchscreen. It's like they're trying to get people to buy hardware for better use with the software by offering this as a PC OS. It feels very awkward and clunky to use.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
br0l0ck
Cheater
Reputation: 63

Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 36

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh , I can imagine those quick menus would be annoying as fuck with multiple screens. Using classic shell you can disable it though.

I shouldn't have to use a program for my OS to become functional, I don't see why they could not have given us the option for these things themselves, because apparently its really easy to get the start menu back, Microsoft could have easily just added an option for the classic start menu, and other things to disable the metro UI system.

Maybe after a service pack, 8 will be good, but its hard to top windows 7, I can't think of any major flaws it had off the top of my head, really if they had just given us a service pack 2 with the extra features 8 has (native iso mounting, full screen apps that you can drag around for some extra space, etc) it would have been great.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Selrahc
Master Cheater
Reputation: 27

Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 279
Location: New York

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brolock, I'll give you this; you know what good music is.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Random spam All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

CE Wiki   IRC (#CEF)   Twitter
Third party websites