Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting my ram to run 1600mhz

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hero
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Getting my ram to run 1600mhz Reply with quote

Ok so its like this. I have G.skill ripjaws 2x2gb at 1600mhz. I cannot run them faster than 1333mhz without bsods and hypertransport sync floods. I talked to techsupport for my board (msi 890fxa-gd70) and he said that technically 1600mhz ram is OCing on amd cores, even if the ram runs 1600mhz as a stock. I changed my ratio to 1:4 which causes the timings to go nuts so I manually set them. I also made sure to set 2T. Shit tons of errors on memtest86+/ SHould I increase voltage more, or loosen timings? I've read stuff saying if its set to stock values and voltage it should work, but it doesnt. Any ideas what I can do?
elpacco
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your board only supports up to 1333MHz without an overclock, and like any overclock, it runs the risk of instability.

I made sure to get a board that supports 1600MHz before I got 1600MHz memory, and I still had to manually set the speed and timings before it would run at 1600MHz, but after I did that it ran fine.

My guess is that you could be doing everything right, but your board just doesn't want to cooperate.

FangBanger wrote:
What is the best way for a lv19 Soldier to solo Sledge on Borderlands?
Shoot him.
Hero
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone told me I should increase the memory controller voltage not ram, but ive never done this before and cannot find any option for it.
Phox
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is don't bother if it's that much trouble. The difference in performance between 1333 and 1600 is truly negligible, I've tested it out.
Hero
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I dont see much of a difference myself. I'm wondering if it takes but a bios update or what to make the cpu compatible with the ram. Or does the cpu need a change of hardware inside it to do so. I heard sandybridge can run 1600mhz. Oh well.
elpacco
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean my Athlon II x4 620 ran it fine, as well as my current Phenom II x6.

It's the board, not the processor.

FangBanger wrote:
What is the best way for a lv19 Soldier to solo Sledge on Borderlands?
Shoot him.
Haswell
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you overclock the base clock to 250? Simply bumping up the memory strap usually won't work, as the board wasn't rated for stock OC speeds.
Hero
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No FSB was tampered with, just the ratio for the ram. Sadly after manually setting it to its proper voltage and timings it was still unstable. I was told about increasing the controller voltage, but I still dont know how. I didnt really research it, I kind of just said, hey, I'm fine at 1333mhz. My athlon II x4 ran my ram at 1600mhz but my Phenom II x4 would get bsod or Hypertransport sync floods. Not sure why. It wasnt bad on my old board but my 890fxa-gd70 shows issue with it. Its fine as it is, one day I will get board and research how to make it work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: