Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Faster Float Scanning - 2 suggestions to speed it up a lil'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Source
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhoul
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Faster Float Scanning - 2 suggestions to speed it up a lil' Reply with quote

I've noticed that scanning for floats can take a great deal of time, over searching for 4 byte values, etc. The two main reasons I believe this to be are:

1. CE doesn't have an option to 'block out' non-real numbers. Usually, my list is 90%+ non-real numbers, and less then 10% of those are real numbers.

2. When searching for a float, (i think) CE converts all read data from memory, into a float, then does the compare.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suggestion 1:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No game that I've had the honor of hacking up has ever used non-real float's. A non-real float = something like 0.111111111e-50 (anything with E notation).

Give the user an option (check-box?) when scanning for floats or doubles, to 'ignore non-real numbers'. I believe this will speed up float scanning a *great* deal. More-so in the area of how many results are returned.
Community Request 1:
Is there anyone that loves messing with the CE source, available to test this, or other theories out?

Suggestion 2:
Possibly another check-mark box? -

When searching for a float, convert the user input into a 4 byte value, then search for the first two bytes. If match - then convert the 4 byte read value into a float and do the compare.

For instance:
1.00000000000000 = 0x3F800000
1.00781238079071 = 0x3F80FFFF

1.125 = 0x3F900000
1.250 = 0x3FA00000
1.375 = 0x3FB00000
1.500 = 0x3FC00000

So if searching for 1 - CE would search for 0x3F80. Once found, CE would then convert the read in memory data to a float, then do the actual compare (which it currently does). I believe this will greatly speed up not only a normal float scan, but more-so the 'value between' float scan.
Community Request 2:
Is there anyone that loves messing with the CE source, available to test this, or other theories out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Source All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: