Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Altruism, does it exist?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ipivb
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorg hi wrote:
HOW is compete selflessness. What if the person is PURE heart. AND wants to help people. And TRULY doesn't care about opinions and cares about the selfness of others more than himself?>???????????(JESUS??

Keyword: Care

The fact that a person cares if another person is happy, means that if the other person is not happy, then the original person is not happy either.

Therefor even on the most basic level, it's literally impossible to care for someone out of complete selflessness. In fact, the only way it would be possible is if you absolutely hate a person and do not want to help them, and receive no benefit whatsoever for it, but do it anyway. It's just not possible because even if you were close to those conditions, you wouldn't help them unless there was some reason, however slight, that helping them benefits you somehow.

Geri wrote:
Hope this will make it clear what is my point. With the grenade story, if a wife and 5 kids are left behind with the feeling that You have left them "just" to save Your squad and play hero, it is again a questionably selflessness act.

So I think that these should be considered when You are deciding to help or not.

Saving the squad is no different from "saving" the family. In the end, your reward is knowing that you did something for someone else. In this case, you decided that your squad was more important than your family, which is irrelevant.

Fantasy wrote:
Depends on how far you want to over-analyze an action that appears to be selfless.

If I walk down the street, and pass a coin to a homeless man. Then it's a pretty selfless deed, unless I follow that amount of moneys journey throughout the system, and what opportunities it allows the homeless man to have, which in the end COULD result in something beneficial to myself. But if the act of giving the homeless man a coin, was without intentions to benefit myself, would it then be selfless? Or would it only last untill I (without knowing) got something out of it myself? Or is the joy you get out of helping another selfish ?

Honestly, it's a stupid debate. Personal Opinions on something that doesn't matter, wooh Very Happy

In philosophy, there is no such thing as over-analyzing, and there are no stupid debates.

The joy that you get out of helping another is not "selfish" per say, but it is also not selfless. It is a reward, and to be truly selfless, you must do something that you get no reward from (which is literally impossible).

It is somewhat related to the discussion of free will. When you get down to it, our decisions can only be made from one of two possibilities: either our decisions are completely predetermined, or they are random. Which one is better? If you were given the exact same set of circumstances an infinite number of times, would you ever make a different decision than you did the previous time? If not, then our decisions are predetermined, and "life" is just the playing out of physical laws.
Jorg hi
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people cannot assume the thoughts of why people do things! That just destroys every possible truth. Thats like saying

My dog ate 3 donuts because my younger dog wasn't hungry.

"That means he is selfish because he didn't share the donuts with the younger dog!!!!!!!!"

When actually the younger dog told him he didn't want any.

What? Why do you have to hate to be nonselfish? Isn't hate selfish?
Geri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Saving the squad is no different from "saving" the family. In the end, your reward is knowing that you did something for someone else. In this case, you decided that your squad was more important than your family, which is irrelevant.

Yes, the important part of the story is to observe the same act from different points of view.
If You die for the squad, they will think You are a selfless guy but Your family will think You were selfish and left them for glory. The asset that You put into helping someone is taken away from helping someone else, and the decision is based on Your current emotional needs. This is indeed selfish from someone's point of view.

Quote:
What? Why do you have to hate to be nonselfish? Isn't hate selfish?

This topic is not against good things, it is just a conversation about selfishness and selflessness. In fact, the story with the hungry kid is not just true, it is not even rare. If a parent is trying to "impress" His/Her surrounding and the family will notably suffer for it, then others will think that the parent is selfless, kind, etc, but there will be a serious tension inside the family because of this.

This discussion is not changing the fact that giving without expecting a reward is a considered to be good, otherwise I wouldn't take the time to help for anyone of course.
It is useless to take it personally, no one said that "giving" is evil.

If you are interested in any of my crappy articles/tutorials about CE and game hacking, you can find them here:
http://www.szemelyesintegracio.hu/cheats/41-game-hacking-articles

Don't request cheats or updates.
redslothx
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give $20 to the average hobo almost every other day or so if I'm at a red light. Having taken some time to work with these people, they've hit a soft spot in my anti-charitable spirit.

But... I normally get pissed when people ask me to stop 'wasting' money and to donate to people in need instead. (Haiti, south america, africa, middle east, etc). Honestly, these people have no value in my life. It's harsh to say it, but it's true. I see no reason to help them if I don't depend on their existence. It's not that I don't support the cause, but it's just that I simply don't care nor see a purpose.

However, I do think that Altruism exists. I've seen people dedicate years of their lives to pursue a goal that really offers no benefits to them or than a sense of fulfillment and purpose. When it's not about making profit from a book, advertising a product, or advertising themselves, I give these people their well deserved respect. To be able to spend years of your life helping others adjust to harsh, unethical treatments and to raise awareness of these injustices takes a lot of balls, determination, and sacrifices.

Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redslothx wrote:
However, I do think that Altruism exists. I've seen people dedicate years of their lives to pursue a goal that really offers no benefits to them or than a sense of fulfillment and purpose. When it's not about making profit from a book, advertising a product, or advertising themselves, I give these people their well deserved respect. To be able to spend years of your life helping others adjust to harsh, unethical treatments and to raise awareness of these injustices takes a lot of balls, determination, and sacrifices.

The problem is... that sense of fulfillment and purpose is a reward. Therefor, it is not completely selfless.
Jorg hi
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes! But what we are saying is...... What if those people do not FEEL it as being a reward!!!!!!!!

Do you think Jesus would feel rewarde/accomplished for converting people to Christianity? NO! That is a deeper question that nobody can answer....... Not even you.. the athiests.
Geri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorg hi wrote:
yes! But what we are saying is...... What if those people do not FEEL it as being a reward!!!!!!!!

Do you think Jesus would feel rewarde/accomplished for converting people to Christianity? NO! That is a deeper question that nobody can answer....... Not even you.. the athiests.

Selflessness is not a matter of religion and they shouldn't be mixed in this topic. I am atheist but I usually help others, unlike some religious people that I know, even if I will burn in hell or what.
This topic is about the psychological aspect and motivation in humans. Religion is another matter.

If you are interested in any of my crappy articles/tutorials about CE and game hacking, you can find them here:

AhMunRa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jorg an atheist could answer the Jesus question, since atheism denies the existence of a supreme being or beings. They may say that Jesus was like us and but a man, nothing more.

The burning in hell is another debate altogether.

But I think I would be more apt to give money to someone on a street corner than to send money to relief funds. We have gone that route before and the money rarely ends up where it needs to go, instead going to the local warlord.

Geri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I think I would be more apt to give money to someone on a street corner than to send money to relief funds. We have gone that route before and the money rarely ends up where it needs to go, instead going to the local warlord.

90% of the money/goods will not even leave the country as charity services are damn corrupt. And even if the 10% will arrive to the destination, it will be taken from the poor. It is just plain ridiculous. Even if You want to help, You can't (unless You bring the money personally:) ).

ipivb
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorg hi wrote:

If they didn't feel it as being a reward, they wouldn't do it... period.

The will to do something comes from motivation. Motivation comes from a desire, and desires are fueled by rewards. If there is no reward, however small, there is no desire and no motivation.

If Jesus didn't feel accomplished for converting people, then there would be nothing stopping him from converting people to atheism. He felt that there is a bigger reward for converting people to Christianity rather than atheism or any of the other thousands of religions out there. But lets not turn this into a religion debate... you'll end up looking foolish.
Jorg hi
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is the motivation for me posting this below?:

BOUDSGKHDSFHKLSDHFIWE(*THP{($TH@*&P^RCJT@P#RJ#@Y(R@#*YTK(*@#P^YK@#*(<C@#>

???

Edit:From viewing what you guys define 'selfish'
The idea of doing something for a specific motivation.

THEN everything is SELFISH!
InternetIsSeriousBusiness

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorg hi wrote:
So what is the motivation for me posting this below?:

BOUDSGKHDSFHKLSDHFIWE(*THP{($TH@*&P^RCJT@P#RJ#@Y(R@#*YTK(*@#P^YK@#*(<C@#>

???

Exactly, in some way, and in some degree.

Calu
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: da Reply with quote

i once had a cat. Does it count?
elpacco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how pure even you think your motives are, there's an underlying trigger that caused you to act the way you did.

Personally, I believe that, in all of existence, there's no such thing as true randomness. Everything is only pseudo-random at most. All actions made are the product of previous events.

FangBanger wrote:
What is the best way for a lv19 Soldier to solo Sledge on Borderlands?
Shoot him.
Geri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes, as making a decision about Your actions are definitely related to Yourself. You cannot make a decision about Your actions without being subjective. Thinking totally selflessly about Yourself doesn't seem to be possible.

But if You mean "common" selflessness, when Your reward is nothing but the feeling that You have done something good, of course that is existing. No one said that it is not existing in that form.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: