Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Major Mem leak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhoul
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Major Mem leak Reply with quote

Hey there...

First, let me say that I've not the time to see if this issue has been reported. If so, please remove this post.

Next, Cheat Engine is a bad a$$ tool. Not only has it helped me change games to my liking, but I've learned QUITE a lot about assembly/stacks/etc in the process. IMHO, it's stuff like this that should be taught in classrooms.

The Mem Leak:
This is a mem leak difference between 5.0 and 5.1 , so it should be pretty easy to find. I found the mem leak while attempting to do Unknown scans on floats, with Rome: Total War (which disallows all Debugger access, but can still be scanned). Eventually, after several such scans, the game would crash and I'd drop to desktop with a "Too Low on Virtual Memory" message.

I currently have 2gb of page file setup (split between two separate/physical drives).

So I closed all cheat engines and tried again, this time, watching task manager. In 5.0, when I'd start a new scan, Task Manager would show Cheat Engine releasing sometimes hundreds of megs of RAM/Swap , reducing itself back to about 5-7 meg memory in use.

After testing several times, with 5.0 and 5.1 side-by-side, I realised that each new scan in 5.1 did *not* release the previously used memory. I turned off the Undo feature, reloaded all versions and tried again. Same result.

If you would like a copy of my config file or any other information, please let me know what e-mail address to send it to.

- Zhoul
Leonidas
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird, I did change the memory releasing in ce 5.1 from standard to multithreaded

instead of waiting for the scan thread to free it's memory it spawns a new thread that free's the memory memory while you can already see the results and browse the memory.

Does the memory keep maxed out after a minute or 2 ?

Anyhow, I'll see if I can find the problem (perhaps the reference count didn't get to 0...)
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it and it is a small gigantic bug
the place where I resume the thread after giving it all the pointer to free was commented out so I could check some speed difference and forgot to put it back. So... it actually NEVER frees memory

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Zhoul
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00t!

I figured it'd be something simple like that, as we've all done something similar, more times then not. Smile

Twas my tech teacher in high-school that stated...

"Computers aren't perfect. All they do is duplicate human error, many millions of times faster then any one of us ever could..."
Davethewave
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering what that low memory message was all about Smile
Zhoul
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Fix release? Reply with quote

Since this pretty much renders 5.1 useless (at least, to me heh) - when should we expect an update?
Leonidas
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saturday or sunday. (or get the source and remove the // in front of freethread.resume and compile Wink )
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can redownload ce to fix the problem

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Zhoul
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scribly wrote:
saturday or sunday. (or get the source and remove the // in front of freethread.resume and compile Wink )

While I am indeed a coder, Delphi hasn't been a language I've tackled just yet Wink (no, no... Assembly, C++, VB, .NET, and a dozen more have kept me busy thus far).

Thanks for the recomplie Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: