Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


What Linux distribution is the most functional?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Waly
Master Cheater
Reputation: -1

Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 293

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: What Linux distribution is the most functional? Reply with quote

I wanted to download Linux to run separate from Windows, and I found many different distributions via Google. Which one of these provides the most function and utilizes all of the computer's resources? Links would be helpful.Wink


EDIT:
I've gotten all the help I needed. A mod can lock this if they wish.


Last edited by Waly on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oib111
I post too much
Reputation: 0

Joined: 02 Apr 2007
Posts: 2947
Location: you wanna know why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ubuntu is a quite popular distro, although if you want to use low RAM and CPU I suggest Gentoo.
_________________


8D wrote:

cigs dont make people high, which weed does, which causes them to do bad stuff. like killing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Waly
Master Cheater
Reputation: -1

Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 293

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think that RAM and CPU will be a problem, so I'll take a look at Ubuntu. Thanks^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Karakawe
I post too much
Reputation: 3

Joined: 17 Apr 2007
Posts: 3899

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try the "K" Desktop Environment, if you're really used to Windows. Kubuntu might get you going, in that case. It's just Ubuntu with KDE instead of GNOME (the default desktop environment in Ubuntu). Note that you can easily change between the two once you have one installed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oib111
I post too much
Reputation: 0

Joined: 02 Apr 2007
Posts: 2947
Location: you wanna know why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh....I prefer GNOME since it has Compiz Fusion.
_________________


8D wrote:

cigs dont make people high, which weed does, which causes them to do bad stuff. like killing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Waly
Master Cheater
Reputation: -1

Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 293

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Karakawe. That should help Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Localhost
I post too much
Reputation: 0

Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 3402

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the full Linux feel... Go for Gentoo.

Ubuntu is a bloated version of Debian for people who do not know how to control their operating system.

Gentoo and Slackware, in my opinion, will give you the most customizability.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Humper
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme
Reputation: 0

Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 1545

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu will be fine, its opensource you can change everything you just
have to know how to.

Regards Humper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hcavolsdsadgadsg
I'm a spammer
Reputation: 26

Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 5801

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a boner for archlinux personally.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Localhost
I post too much
Reputation: 0

Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 3402

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humper wrote:
Ubuntu will be fine, its opensource you can change everything you just
have to know how to.

Regards Humper


Almost every Linux Distro is open source.

I say almost since Red Hat isn't...

so 99.9 percent of Distros are Open-Source.

If they are not open-source, they are either THAT GOOD (red hat) or suck-ass and not a soul cares about it.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

CE Wiki   IRC (#CEF)   Twitter
Third party websites