Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Some Understanding Of This

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sch777
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Need Some Understanding Of This Reply with quote

Shocked
[/b]A bit frustrated!
Not with Cheat Engine!
However with the lack of knowing what the heck i am doing wrong!!!!!!!!
Okay I went through the Tutorial.exe with flying colors and got to the end, either by luck or by chance. ‘Cause for the most part i have no real clue to hexadecimal and assembler and disassembler.
The problem i am having is with the game (Swarm 1.4). I used the Cheat Engine 4.4, Which is the best cheat finder i have found so far, because it really WORKS!!!! for the most part.
In the game i found everything i wanted to find. I saved the table (Swarm.CT), closed everything out. Shut the computer down, went to work. 12 hours later came home and turned everything on, started up the Cheat Engine, loaded up the (Swarm.CT) and started the game, loaded up the (Swarm.exe) in the process. All the cheats address either had ?? in the Value box or some crazy big numbers. None of the cheats worked. What in the world did i do wrong??????????????????????

A Note To Dark Byte

Is it or could it be possibly to create a tool to convert hexadecimal and assembler and disassembler information into a basic langue like one that people that have no idea what all the numbers and –mov [esi+00000146],eax means. It is all a mind buster!!!! Or could i find info on what all this means –mov [esi+00000146],eax.

Thanks to anyone with any info

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is because of dynamic memory allocation. Because you've restarted the game, windows gave it other memorylocations to work with.

There are a few ways arround this like finding the pointer, or the code that accesses those addresses.
But the easiest is finding something easy to scan in the table you have and then use the recalculate addresses option. There's a high chance that the addresses are then fine again (till next time you restast)

Quote:
Is it or could it be possibly to create a tool to convert hexadecimal and assembler and disassembler information into a basic langue like one that people that have no idea what all the numbers and –mov [esi+00000146],eax means. It is all a mind buster!!!! Or could i find info on what all this means –mov [esi+00000146],eax.

The tutorial section(in this forum) contains a assembler tutorial for complete begginers.
mov [esi+00000146],eax means "Place the value of the register EAX at the address pointed to by the result of "ESI+146" "

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
sch777
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
That darn DMA, i’ve just learned something new to me. That is what it means.
Thank you for your advise, i used it before you wrote it. That is i went back into Cheat Engine and applied the pointer rule of thumb that i found in the 3D pinball tutorial to my problem, and it worked out great!!!!

This recalculation thingy? would it also apply to tables from other computers?
Such as i ran the Cheat Engine and the game on two other computer and the table from this computer didn’t work on the other two computers. So i ran the game and the Cheat Engine on them and found the pointer and saved the tables to figure out if i can get the other two tables to work on this computer. Two gateways And one dell computer.

What i meant about making a tool to covert hex, ass, disass to a language people can understand.

Is what ever happened to basic language, where you seen something like this:

10 4 = 4
20 4 / 2
30 if 4 = 4
40 then goto 20

or something like this.

I know basic takes up a lot of paper. But this is the computer GB age, where space isn’t much of a issue anymore. That’s what i meant by converting.

Last but not least you are the master Dark Byte!!!!

Thanks for your info

I’ll check out the tutorials.

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This recalculation thingy? would it also apply to tables from other computers?
Such as i ran the Cheat Engine and the game on two other computer and the table from this computer didn’t work on the other two computers. So i ran the game and the Cheat Engine on them and found the pointer and saved the tables to figure out if i can get the other two tables to work on this computer. Two gateways And one dell computer.

If they are using the same OS and you have tables with pointers there's a high chance they'll work without any changes.
But I was talking about addresses that get shifted.
e.g the first time you run the game:
00501000=health
00501004=armor
00501008=bullets
0050100a=hippy power
0050100b=playername

Now, when the game restarts and after a scan you find out that the value of bullets is now at 005a1008. It's then quite safe to assume that armor is at 005a1004 and health at 00501000 etc....
In cheat engine you'd click on the address you've found. Then rightclick on the old bullets entry in the table and choose recalculate addresses. It'll then have the offset filled in automatically for you so you click yes. It'll then modify the addresses to the right address

And about that convert to code thing. there are decompilers that do that, but it doesn't always improve readability.

sch777
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Yes all the OS are the same Xp. However the SP are not the same, this computer is WinXp only, while the other two have WinXp SP 1 & 2. Will that make a difference? Also the Ram is different on all three. 384MB this one, 128MB the other gateway, 512MB the Dell. Would This have any impact?

This all comes about because i have went to a lot of web sites to find trainers for the games i have and none of the trainers i have found for the right version of swarm works. So now i’m looking at making my own trainer through the cheat Engine program. But i want it to work on all my computers and any new computers i upgrade to later on. So now what i am thinking is that the trainers i have found for Swarm was made on other OS, Win9x and such. Since you brought it to my attention about (If they are using the same OS)

Do you know anything about converting NTFS back To FAT32?
I’ve heard it said it can’t be done?

I will apply everything you said to see if i can get it to work.

Dark Byte, make such a tool to do better then a decompiler you have the brains for it.
I don’t have years nor the time to learn everything you know. Otherwise i would do it.

Can you point me in the right direction to a good decompiler?

Thanks again for your info

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sch777 wrote:

Dark Byte, make such a tool to do better then a decompiler you have the brains for it.
I don’t have years nor the time to learn everything you know. Otherwise i would do it.

It would take me years to make something like that. But I am planning to make someday a assembler interpreter that'll make diagrams of pieces of code and showing their connections. But no idea when I get bored enough to add that. (so might be in cheatengine 13.2)

Quote:

Can you point me in the right direction to a good decompiler?

sorry, last time I used one of those was in 1994, perhaps they have improved or have all died out...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: