Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with finding pointer to structure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CertifiedPyro
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 12:50 am    Post subject: Help with finding pointer to structure Reply with quote

Hi, I'm trying to create a LiveSplit autosplitter for a Unity game called Chants of Sennaar. I'm trying to look for the pointer to the GameController instance, and I've done the following:

1. Mono > Dissect Mono > go to Assembly-CSharp > find GameController
2. Right click and do Data Structure > Dissect Stucture, and "Find instances of class"
3. Find the correct instance, and copy address into the "Structure Dissect" window
4. Find a field, in this case a float called clockTime, and right-click > "Add to address list"
5. In the main Cheat engine window, do "Generate pointermap" and save the file
6. Repeat several times after quitting and reopening the game

Then, I'm doing a pointer scan on address 1, using the saved pointermap for address 1 and comparing results with the other pointermap/address pairs I have. After this, I do some slight filtering to only include results from "UnityPlayer.dll".

The problem is that I still have about 700 results, and I don't know how to filter them down. I've tried a couple of the pointers, but they ultimately have issue after opening/closing the game a couple of times. Is there a way to filter based on offsets and pointers from the address in the pointer scan table? For example, the value for `GameController` at +0x90 > +0x38 > +0x20 should be X. Thanks!
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are multiple paths to go to a destination. Same goes for pointers, but best pick the one with the least amount of offsets so random stuff is less likely to interfere

tip: sort by offsets, the path with the lowest amount will end up at top

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
CertifiedPyro
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found 8 pointers with the shortest length of 4 offsets. The problem I'm noticing is the pointer to GameController sometimes points to another address before quickly switching back to the original. I have no idea why this is happening. Here's an example that I've logged in my autosplitter:
Code:
[1407.7283] game controller ptr changed: 1E8AAA18500 -> 1E668E9EA50
[1407.7441] game controller ptr changed: 1E668E9EA50 -> 1E8AAA18500
CertifiedPyro
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to resolve this, I just did "rescan memory", put in the address to look for, and "Repeat rescan until stopped". This helped me get rid of the flaky pointers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: