Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't find the X Position in Mega Man NES

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JigsawKiller
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:31 am    Post subject: Can't find the X Position in Mega Man NES Reply with quote

Hello! I have problems with finding the address of the variable that holds the x position of mega man in Mega Man NES game! I have tried to look for all types of variables but only found a float, 2 doubles and a 4 bytes value that change when my x position changes. The 4 bytes value is changing suddenly from 250 or so to around 20-40 million when I shoot or when I am hit by an enemy. These are the values that I have discovered that change when my x position changes. You can ignore the "Health" value.
If anyone can find me the X position of Mega Man, I would be very grateful. I am using the FCEUMM core for emulating mega man NES.

MegaMan-CheatEngine.png
 Description:
Photo of what I have found on Cheat Engine when searching for the X position of Mega Man
 Filesize:  103.16 KB
 Viewed:  508 Time(s)

MegaMan-CheatEngine.png

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to settings and enable 2 byte big endian

or maybe it's just a 1 byte value

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
JigsawKiller
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The processor used for NES is little endian. Also, I looked at the memory view, and found out why the 4 bytes value is so big after I shoot.

As the image shows, the X position must be a combination made of the first byte from the CA6B00 address and another byte somewhere in this memory view. Another byte I saw was changing based on the speed, but that doesn't really help me. If you have any other suggestions, I am glad to hear them!

MemoryView-MegaMan.jpg
 Description:
This is the memory view. As you can see, the first byte is for the X position, but once it passes over the FF value, it returns 0.
 Filesize:  202.33 KB
 Viewed:  472 Time(s)

MemoryView-MegaMan.jpg

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's a 1 byte value then and the bytes after it might be timers or something for when you can shoot again ?

nes screen coordinates are 256x240, so a 1 byte value is enough for just the x coordinate.

Perhaps there's another variable that specifies what x coordinate inside the map itself

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
JigsawKiller
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to find the other byte. Apparently, the first byte that I found out was an offset, since it went only to 255 and then back to 0, but anytime I was going from 255 to 0, some other byte was increasing to 1 and vice versa when I was going back to the left. Now I can find out the x position of mega man based on those two bytes. Though it seems kind of weird to place those 2 bytes so apart in memory, but it is what it is! Thanks for the help though, Dark Byte!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: