Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheat engine not showing the values I need to edit in list.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WorldWreckerYT
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Cheat engine not showing the values I need to edit in list. Reply with quote

In some games like Moonstone Island, I can't get CE to fetch a specific number (like the amount of money you've got for example) and modify it. This has been the case with several other games as well and I don't know why or whether if there's a way around it.
jgoemat
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be several things.

First, you may be using the wrong type. Some games might use float or double for values like money, which wouldn't be found unless you search for that type. The default 32 bit search might be too big, if it's a 16 bit value, the other 16 bits would be something else and you'd never find it.

Second, the value might not be what you think. If money is something like $109.79, this might actually be stored as an integer 10979. I've seen extra like 1097900 before also. In this case doing multiple changes and looking for increasing/decreasing values instead of exact values can help you find it, though it's slower. Using hotkeys can speed up your search. There can also be the case where bonus health is stored separately, so it won't be an exact value that you see in-game. Think of a game with stats and perks that up your stats. Some games store the base value and calculate the total when needed. So if you see '10 STRENGTH' in game, that may be a base value of 8 with two added for a perk.

Third, the value might be encrypted. I know GTA 5 encrypts your money using a pretty simple algorithm tied to the address where the money is stored. That is hard to find, but using changed/unchanged values can help although take a lot of searches to narrow it down. I use this if I'm having trouble finding things like health too, sometimes games like to f with me and store the damage taken instead of current health (i.e. 87/100 health would have a value '13' stored in memory)

Fourth, the game might just move the address around. Good luck...
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgoemat wrote:

To add to that masterwork response, I've seen faster solutions.
I mean, instead of multiplying with 10:
- shift 2 bits left
- shift 8 bits left
- change byte order
+Any of the above combined with constant relocations.
You have to bite the bullet and sieve through a bazillion of changing unknown values (which could be pointers) instead of a known value at a fixed location.
Take your time with a systematic approach and you shall prevail.
WorldWreckerYT
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgoemat wrote:
This could be several things.

First, you may be using the wrong type. Some games might use float or double for values like money, which wouldn't be found unless you search for that type. The default 32 bit search might be too big, if it's a 16 bit value, the other 16 bits would be something else and you'd never find it.

Second, the value might not be what you think. If money is something like $109.79, this might actually be stored as an integer 10979. I've seen extra like 1097900 before also. In this case doing multiple changes and looking for increasing/decreasing values instead of exact values can help you find it, though it's slower. Using hotkeys can speed up your search. There can also be the case where bonus health is stored separately, so it won't be an exact value that you see in-game. Think of a game with stats and perks that up your stats. Some games store the base value and calculate the total when needed. So if you see '10 STRENGTH' in game, that may be a base value of 8 with two added for a perk.

Third, the value might be encrypted. I know GTA 5 encrypts your money using a pretty simple algorithm tied to the address where the money is stored. That is hard to find, but using changed/unchanged values can help although take a lot of searches to narrow it down. I use this if I'm having trouble finding things like health too, sometimes games like to f with me and store the damage taken instead of current health (i.e. 87/100 health would have a value '13' stored in memory)

Fourth, the game might just move the address around. Good luck...

Personally, these are great suggestions, but there's something that had been posing as an issue for me for a while now. The number of times you can change the value needed is limited, and reloading the save file might not work. Health? Well, you're already dead. Skill points? Too bad, you ran out. Money? You ain't got enough.
Recently, I just found out that the game I'm trying to cheat on has 7 instances of it open in the task manager processes tab, and I had to pick the right one to successfully extract values from it. I picked the right one by accident and that's how I know about this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: