Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

debugger too intelligent?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordbeyblade
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject: debugger too intelligent? Reply with quote

imgurcom/FEkokkZ

i'm confused,
if i understand correctly this enable section replaces the original code with a jmp and a(?) nop? (how does nop 4 have a parameter)

then how does the debugger still track the addresses incremented by my new instruction at newmem:? (the 4096 on the irght are generated by the mov [rax], 1000

or is the debugger just that smart?

ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

`nop N` is a pseudoinstruction that replaces N bytes with nop. (there exist multibyte nop instructions)

It appears that CE disassembles and analyzes the instruction only once when the breakpoint gets set. If it changes (i.e. to a jmp), the "Accessed addresses by XXXX" window won't notice.

lordbeyblade
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParkourPenguin wrote:

It appears that CE disassembles and analyzes the instruction only once when the breakpoint gets set. If it changes (i.e. to a jmp), the "Accessed addresses by XXXX" window won't notice.

how does it manage to analyze the instruction at the jumped to location though?
the address at which the previous mov instruction was is now replaced by the jmp, so how does the debugger show the address and value of the mov that is in my newly allocated memory segment?

ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CE simply disassembles the instruction at the address you clicked at and checks if it's accessing an address. If CE thinks it is accessing an address, it uses the same expression as the original instruction for address calculation. e.g. looking at what addresses `mov [rax],whatever` accesses entails setting a breakpoint at the address of that instruction and logging the value of rax every time it gets triggered. If the instruction happens to change during that time, CE won't notice- it will still log the value of rax every time the breakpoint triggers regardless.

None of this has anything to do with any of your code in your code injection. CE would've behaved the same if you had replaced the `mov` with `nop`s.
The "value" column simply reads the current value at an address. This is similar to the main CE window.

lordbeyblade
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i understand what you mean now, thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: