Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to run GTA 1 (1997) Windowed mode?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rain-13
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: How to run GTA 1 (1997) Windowed mode? Reply with quote

Hi!

I am playing GTA 1 for some nostalgia. I would like to debug breakpoint this game. But when it freezes I am stuck in fullscreen mode and the only way out is to kill CE from task manager.

What are possible workarounds?

I thought I could run it windowed mode. I run it in Win XP SP2 virtual machine. I tried DxWnd v2.03.77 and 2.05.88 but none of them worked. I am not sure if I configured it right or not. Anything I should maybe check from configuration? Or should I use any other program?
atom0s

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are various suggestions you can find for this game on the PC Gaming Wiki here:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto

Based on the info there, it looks like the game uses Direct3D8. If the suggested things there don't work, you can try to use dgVoodoo2 to force the game into a window and to run on newer DirectX versions.

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/

rain-13
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

This wiki suggests some widescreen fix. But that still runs the thing in fulscreen. Plus it only show black screen as soon as I start game - only thing I see is game. Game still runs because I can blindly navigate game menus to exit back to menu but just game itself is not rendered. So moving next to dgVoodoo2.

dgVoodoo2 displays dgVoodoo2 watermark on game - a proof that thing is working. But it still runs in fullscreen mode. Too bad the owner just recently stopped giving support by archiving this project on github.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to run GTA 1 (1997) Windowed mode? Reply with quote

rain-13 wrote:
But when it freezes I am stuck in fullscreen mode and the only way out is to kill CE from task manager.

What are possible workarounds?
-Are you not able to Alt+Tab to cycle through windows?
rain-13
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

I can Alt + Tab only to task manager. I can't alt + tab to other windows. Maybe if there was way to give all CE windows always on top attribute it would work. If I Alt + Tab to anything else then task manager then I never see this window.
TsTg
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those older games were not designed to be alt-tabbed out, so things like frozen game windows can happen, i believe a warpper like dgvoodoo2 has some option to help with these issues, in addition to forcing the game into windowed mode, but first you need to know what renderer the game is using, so that you can install the necessary files from dgvoodoo properly.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I did it was Windows 98 + Softice = no need to window mode.

Never thought I would use that word again but if you're going oldskool then use oldschool stuff.

rain-13
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turned out the solution for DxWnd was to proxy ddraw. Right click on game and then Proxy > ddraw.

Problem was that it was not able to inject dll normally. Proxy added dll into same directory where game.exe itself was making dll injection automatic.

Btw has anyone had success with GTA 1 + dgvoodoo2 ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: