Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't find value after pressing "Next Scan"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geronticus_eremita
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Can't find value after pressing "Next Scan" Reply with quote

Hi!

I've been looking for a value (total newbie here), but can't find it. I have tried float, 2 bytes, 4 bytes and bytes, but after pressing "Next Scan" after changing the amount, nothing shows up. Been using "exact value" both times.
Do you have any advice on how I could solve this?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Sarah
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unknown initial value, changed / unchanged value scans

The value you want to find might not be stored in the way you'd expect it to be. It could be split up amongst several values (e.g. time might have hours / minutes / seconds split up), maybe it's a packed bitfield (e.g. old flash *8+N value type), or maybe it's intentionally obfuscated (e.g. xor key).

Geronticus_eremita
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Thank you very much!
I have tried with unknown initial value, changed / unchanged value scans, but nothing came that fit the number (it's the money amount, so shouldn't contain several values I guess?).

Do you know if there is a tutorial how to solve packed bitfields or obfuscated values?

Cheers,
Sarah
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any results that change in relation to the value you're searching for are naturally related in at least that way. You can try freezing values and see what happens.
Try to narrow down the list as much as possible before changing random things, as changing the wrong things might crash the process. Beyond simple changed / unchanged value scans, you can try changing your money, bringing it back to the original amount, and doing an unchanged value scan. "Compare to first scan" might help.
Of course, that's making some assumptions. Doing that could leave you with nothing if the game is generating a new random key for obfuscation at every value mutation.

Simple integers can be derived from several values. e.g. skill points left = points earned - points spent. Points left might not exist persistently in memory.

I was just listing a few of the literally infinite ways a value can be stored in an unintuitive manner. You'd have to identify the value that changes money before you can start reverse engineering the way it's stored.
If other reverse engineering opportunities are available (e.g. unity game: dissect mono), you can try those.

PS: if whatever you're doing with money requires an internet connection, give up

++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, depending on the nature of the target (online, emulated etc.), you may have to alter your approach or accept that you are fighting a losing battle.

If it is emulated, then you will want to make sure that you include all memory region types under Scan Settings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: