Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does the start of an Entity List actually look like

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wulfcare
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:28 am    Post subject: What does the start of an Entity List actually look like Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have found random entities on my cheat engine memory viewer but was just wondering what the actual base of an entity list looks like?

The entities in the game I am reversing are just a list of pointers that when I open / dissect data structure on one of them take me to the entities stats, coordinates ect.

The current entity system for the game I am playing consists of the following instructions when I use find out what accesses this address on one of the entities base pointer addresses.

7FF6F22DFB80 - 4C 8B 02 - mov r8,[rdx] --> This is on a counter when entity is within player range
7FF6F22C659A - 49 8B 1C C7 - mov rbx,[r15+rax*8] --> This is called when I walk out of range of the entity
7FF6F22C659E - 4D 89 34 C7 - mov [r15+rax*8],r14 --> This is called when I walk out of range of the entity
7FF6F226997D - 48 8B 3B - mov rdi,[rbx] --> This is called when I walk back in range of the entity
7FF6F2269980 - 4C 89 03 - mov [rbx],r8 --> This is called when I walk back in range of the entity

On the second and third instruction, R15 is the address of the game client and rax is 0x3520 for the bear monster in game.

What would the best method be to find the base of the Entity List structure given these instructions?
cooleko
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to tie into entity lists via their appearance in a minimap or viewing radius functions, so the appearance may be different for other functions.

What you generally look for is the function you are tracing will loop over all the entities, regardless of whether they are present or not. This will present as a more complex pointer, such as the [r15+rax*8] you found.

Trace above that and you will see that r15 is the base of the list and rax is a counter for which pointer in the list to check next. Then find where r15 is set in memory, whether in this function call or a previous one, which can be tedious to trace but keep at it. As you trace further and further back, noting each offset the game uses to track the next pointer. You will eventually find the base offset for the pointer. It will look like an address being moved into a register.

Then you have a pointer to the list that you compiled by tracing r15 all the way to its assignment the first time.

In code, you can manually iterate through the list and have the full entity roster at your disposal. You may find an entry or exit point or perhaps a max size of list in the structure, or have to perform a validity check for each next 'entity' to ensure you are not viewing nonsense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: