Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for assistance in improving my Game Editor Maker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dawnbomb
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Looking for assistance in improving my Game Editor Maker Reply with quote

I make a post about my project every so often in different places seeing if anyone is interested.

I have been working on a universal game editor maker in C# / WPF. I have all the core features already working. I have by my guess 1-2 weeks of visual improvements, minor extra features, etc and then it can be publicly released in a beta. The program is split into two usage modes. Creator Mode and User Mode. The mode your in can be toggled in the HUD. Creator Mode lets anyone make an editor for any game, and User Mode simplifies the program to allow users to focus on using those editors to actually modify files. It's powerful, flexible, and even just a single editor made with my program will already beat 90% of game editors on sites like RomHacking, NexusMods, or Game Banana in terms of user features, appearance, and more, let alone the ability to mass produce editors at lightning speeds never seen before.

That said i'd like to speed up development, as aside from 1-2 weeks of improvements, there are various other features i would like to add after the public beta releases, and more hands helps things go much faster. If anyone knows C# and wants to help me out with a seriously good editor making program, that would be great. So yeah, I would live help finishing up my program for public beta and beyond.

My discord is Dawnbomb#3408

tldr; Like cheat engine but edits the actual source files.
Just think of something like the RPG maker database.

Moderator Edit: Added link to screenshot of tool: https://i.imgur.com/qCPnwBk.png
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of words for not saying much of anything...

First impression: this reminds me of posts that try to convince you to install malware by making ridiculous promises without any merit. Implying your program can edit any game is overzealous at best and fraudulent at worst.

If you're going to be advertising like this, at least provide the source code. e.g. github, gitlab...

atom0s

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much agree with what ParkourPenguin said.

Your post is extremely vague in regards to what your tool even does or offers. But, it was pretty easy to find your posts on other sites in regards to the tool you are making. While I encourage you to keep learning and having fun, I think you are underestimating what you are actually trying to make. I also think you are mislabeling what its intended to be as well. (Also your tool is not the 'world first' to do that kind of thing. It's been done before.)

From the screenshot you shared on other sites, it looks more like you are working to make a universal save game editor. However, the same issues still apply there in regards to being able to properly support 'every' game. Unless your tool implements some means of a custom loader scripting system or plugin system, you will never actually be able to support every game.

Not all games save/store data in the same manner, formats, etc. Most games make use of compression, encryption, a mix of both, and/or more. While one game may store its information in a plain, easy to read file format like JSON, another may encrypt its data using somthing like AES, compress it with zlib, and then pack it into a custom file format.

Based on your screenshot as well, it looks like your tool is more than likely going to just launch and rely on other tools (ie. Notepad++, HxD, 010 Editor, etc.) This is fine, but you are not really 'making' a tool at that point, but rather a launcher that just relies on the output of other tools.

As for tools that already exist and do this, there are things like:

- QuickBMS - A powerful unpacker/repacker script language/tool that can support [nearly] every file.
- Noesis - A powerful modding tool that was originally designed for model related work, but with its plugin system can be greatly extended to support all kinds of files.
- hapsby - A universal save game editor.
- Universal Game Editor - An old universal game editor from the 90's that could be extended with custom modules.
- Many many others..

If you are looking for other developers, I'd suggest similar to what Parkour said. You should make use of an open source platform like GitHub, GitLab, etc. and post the code there to be worked on in a collaberative manner.

Dawnbomb
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ParkourPenguin I am not overzealous or a fraud. I plan 100% on delivering, and am an extremely experienced modder, so i know exactly what all the features a program like this needs. I made proof on concepts, and then rebuild from the ground up, three times, to make sure everything would be as i need it to functionality wise. Also, i have no idea why you would consider it ridiculous, when cheat engine does way more, just for live running programs.

@atom0s I am not underestimating what i'm making at all. I could already release it in a beta state if i really wanted and make editors for all kinds of stuff. From tales of vesperia to fire emblem 3 houses to etrian odyssey to mario rpg, you throw it at it, and it can make a high quality editor for it for end users. I am only holding back as the better the initial impressions of a release are, the much better of a start something gets. You don't get a second first impression.

My tool *could* edit saves yes, but it primarily functions as a serious romhacking / game modding tool. My program will have a plugin system of sorts yes, but thats more for games that need game specific extraction / repacking and people want to make it easy to do quickly in workflow.

As for tools, i am not just making a launcher. I decided to include quick-launch options for programs, because part of modding workflow is having to scout around on your PC for the right applications and it's very annoying. As a all in one game modding program, being able to quick launch *every* useful tool all from within my program would be a huge QoL addition.

QuickBMS does not do what my program does, it's entirely diffrent.
Noesis also isn't even close.
hapsby is atleast somewhat in the ball bark, but still entirely diffrent. its maybe 3% of my program

also, to even suggest universal game editor... That program is so old, it's unacceptable. Noone wants to use some garbage like that. All you need is one screenshot and a normal user nopes the fuck out of there. If i ask a highschooler to use that, their just going to laugh and call me stupid or think it's a prank because of how obviously bad it is.

I'm hunting dev recruits to talk over discord, and then i'll link them the proper github. That way i can make very clear in conversation what something is VS isn't, and clear up any misconceptions. My program is able to make game editors for nearly any game. It does so in a way so easy i have never seen any other program do so before, by automatically building an editor for a game, and only afterward asking you to define anything and move stuff around, taking the hardest part for a game modding and making it happen instantly with no effort.

Look at any number of game editors on romhacking, my program can create almost every single one. Maybe not insane tier ones like SMART for super metroid that rearrenges and rebuilds the entire rom from scratch and literally has 2D Map editing and AI editing, but my program is better then the other 95% of all editors on romhacking. I am confidant if i simply remade editors already existing on romhacking in my program, it would crush them instantly. When i say my program is going to allow mass production of game editors at high quality, i'm not joking.
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're specifically targeting game roms for various emulated platforms? That's a little more realistic. You should clarify that.

Cheat Engine provides a low level interface for modifying programs. There's no high-level concepts like one would expect from a good game modding / editing tool. Textures, sprites, scripts, etc. are all just bytes to CE. What you're doing requires significantly more work.

I still don't think you fully appreciate how much work this would entail, but I've never made a romhack before.

Put a good README.txt in your github repo and there won't be any misconceptions you need to clean up. Even if it isn't good, people can still read through the code and see for themselves what you're doing.

atom0s

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@atom0s I am not underestimating what i'm making at all. I could already release it in a beta state if i really wanted and make editors for all kinds of stuff. From tales of vesperia to fire emblem 3 houses to etrian odyssey to mario rpg, you throw it at it, and it can make a high quality editor for it for end users. I am only holding back as the better the initial impressions of a release are, the much better of a start something gets. You don't get a second first impression.

My tool *could* edit saves yes, but it primarily functions as a serious romhacking / game modding tool. My program will have a plugin system of sorts yes, but thats more for games that need game specific extraction / repacking and people want to make it easy to do quickly in workflow.

I'd highly recommend that you edit your original post here and all your other ad posts around the web to be a lot more specific in regards to what your tool does then. Your current post is extremely vague and misleading then if the actual purpose is ROM hacking. You quite literally never mention that, at all, anywhere in the post. The closest to mentioning it is that you mention a website 'RomHacking', but then list two other sites that are not specifically targeted for ROM hacking in general (one of which has been online longer than you've been alive probably).

Quote:
I am only holding back as the better the initial impressions of a release are, the much better of a start something gets. You don't get a second first impression.

I mean.. this is pretty contradicting in regards to how you've advertised your tool so far. Along with how you advertised it elsewhere with the screenshot included. If you were so worried about first impressions, then why would you post an outdated screenshot and then joke about being too lazy to take a new one?

From your own words:
"The image is from a older build am i'm lazy on creating new examples. Just think of something like the RPG maker database, but for any game."

This is already showing how the future of your tool will go if the lead developer can't even be bothered to take a new screenshot.

Quote:
QuickBMS does not do what my program does, it's entirely diffrent.
Noesis also isn't even close.
hapsby is atleast somewhat in the ball bark, but still entirely diffrent. its maybe 3% of my program

The tools I listed were related to the extremely vague information you originally gave in regards to being a universal modding tool for 'any game', as you stated. Now that we have some slightly better prespective on what your tool actually plans to accomplish, I still stand by my suggestions of QuickBMS and Noesis. Both of those tools can be used to do ROM related modding/hacking. Are they the best for that job? No, but they are certainly capable. hapsby was a suggestion I gave based on your tools screenshot, given that it looks like nothing more than a poorly laid out save game editor.

Quote:
also, to even suggest universal game editor... That program is so old, it's unacceptable. Noone wants to use some garbage like that. All you need is one screenshot and a normal user nopes the fuck out of there. If i ask a highschooler to use that, their just going to laugh and call me stupid or think it's a prank because of how obviously bad it is.

I'd suggest you take a step back and rather than bash a piece of software for its age, actually look at things as a means to learn from and 'do better'. I didn't suggest UGE because it is amazing, updated, and something you/others should use. I was simply pointing out that things like it exist since you wanted to claim your tool is a 'world first' thing elsewhere.

And again, you are so concerned with first impressions but I'll reiterate my point about the screenshot you did share elsewhere and your 'too lazy' to post a new one comment. I'd say if that is actually something you were worried about, you failed that first impression already.

Quote:
I'm hunting dev recruits to talk over discord, and then i'll link them the proper github. That way i can make very clear in conversation what something is VS isn't, and clear up any misconceptions. My program is able to make game editors for nearly any game. It does so in a way so easy i have never seen any other program do so before, by automatically building an editor for a game, and only afterward asking you to define anything and move stuff around, taking the hardest part for a game modding and making it happen instantly with no effort.

I'd suggest you re-read this paragraph you wrote yourself. Do you really think with the posts you have made so far that you are really doing your tool justice and giving it the best chance of getting any kind of traction with how you've advertised it so far? If you need to specifically invite people to a private Discord to explain what your tool is/isn't before allowing them to know/see the GitHub repo for it, this is really not a good first impression to set.

For the tools sake, you want to get people hyped and interested in what it does, what its for, what it will do and why it's better than what is already available. People should have an interest solely based on what you are advertising when showing off something that isn't already available. So far you've just basically shit on others work, gave extremely vague descriptions of what your tool is/does, and are acting extremely immature.

Quote:
Look at any number of game editors on romhacking, my program can create almost every single one. Maybe not insane tier ones like SMART for super metroid that rearrenges and rebuilds the entire rom from scratch and literally has 2D Map editing and AI editing, but my program is better then the other 95% of all editors on romhacking. I am confidant if i simply remade editors already existing on romhacking in my program, it would crush them instantly. When i say my program is going to allow mass production of game editors at high quality, i'm not joking.

It's great that you want to have a strong enthusiasm for your work and its capabilities, but if you want others to hold that same opinion about your tool/work, then you need to actually prove it lives up to what you claim. So far, you have done pretty much nothing to help others see why you think your tool is better than any other tool already available for modding in any capacity. ROM hacking has an extremely large amount of tools available already, so being even more niche than what you first described your tool as means that barrier is going to be even harder to break and get people interested.

Again, I really do suggest you edit your advertisement posts here and around the web where you've already posted. I also suggest that you dial back your attitude and ego a bit. Focus your time on actually making the tool be what you are claiming it to be and less on putting down others work/tools/mods. Your responses/posts on other sites like Reddit tell a much larger story in regards to your age and attitude towards others and their work.

Dawnbomb
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParkourPenguin wrote:
So you're specifically targeting game roms for various emulated platforms? That's a little more realistic. You should clarify that.

No. I stand by what i said before, it's a program that can handle nearly any game thrown at it. Its not limited to only games on emulators. It handles PC games as well.

ParkourPenguin wrote:
I still don't think you fully appreciate how much work this would entail, but I've never made a romhack before.

I've already done the huge amount of work. I'm working on appearances now, and more features later.

Atom0s wrote:
I'd highly recommend that you edit your original post here and all your other ad posts around the web to be a lot more specific in regards to what your tool does then. Your current post is extremely vague and misleading then if the actual purpose is ROM hacking. You quite literally never mention that, at all, anywhere in the post. The closest to mentioning it is that you mention a website 'RomHacking', but then list two other sites that are not specifically targeted for ROM hacking in general (one of which has been online longer than you've been alive probably).

Thats because it's not just for romhacking, penguin said that not me. I won't be editing my posts (although i see you took it upon yourself to edit mine by force) as they accurately describe what it can do, make editors for nearly any game. "any game" isn't "only roms".

Atom0s wrote:
This is already showing how the future of your tool will go if the lead developer can't even be bothered to take a new screenshot.

i'm not going to take a new screenshot every day when the appearance is greatly changing every moment. And i explicitly didn't post a screenshot here because it's not as good looking for a first impression. Although that didn't stop you from editing my post to include it anyway, and then proceed to complain it isn't good enough. Kind of a cheap shot to cause the problem you talk about. A description is fine enough. Most people who have used a game editor before would understand what a game editor is.

Atom0s wrote:
I still stand by my suggestions of QuickBMS and Noesis. Both of those tools can be used to do ROM related modding/hacking. Are they the best for that job? No, but they are certainly capable. hapsby was a suggestion I gave based on your tools screenshot, given that it looks like nothing more than a poorly laid out save game editor.

capable puts it lightly, more like the absolute bare minimum. Sure it's not as bad as when people release a windows command prompt application and then smugly tell you your to stupid if you can't get it working, but really? Those suggestions are a joke, their terrible. I don't recommend anyone use them. Also quickBMS seems like it literally does use command prompt. gross.

Atom0s wrote:
I'd suggest you take a step back and rather than bash a piece of software for its age, actually look at things as a means to learn from and 'do better'. I didn't suggest UGE because it is amazing, updated, and something you/others should use. I was simply pointing out that things like it exist since you wanted to claim your tool is a 'world first' thing elsewhere.

And again, you are so concerned with first impressions but I'll reiterate my point about the screenshot you did share elsewhere and your 'too lazy' to post a new one comment. I'd say if that is actually something you were worried about, you failed that first impression already.

I'd rather press further on how outdated it is. Anyone seriously suggesting DOS technology in 2023 is....well i'd rather not be banned, but it's completely unreasonable. My tool is still a first, it's much beyond what UGE can do, i can tell just by looking at it. As for the screenshot *again*, im not trying to make first impressions on my program release right now, i'm trying to recruit, their entirely different.

Atom0s wrote:
I'd suggest you re-read this paragraph you wrote yourself. Do you really think with the posts you have made so far that you are really doing your tool justice and giving it the best chance of getting any kind of traction with how you've advertised it so far? If you need to specifically invite people to a private Discord to explain what your tool is/isn't before allowing them to know/see the GitHub repo for it, this is really not a good first impression to set.

For the tools sake, you want to get people hyped and interested in what it does, what its for, what it will do and why it's better than what is already available. People should have an interest solely based on what you are advertising when showing off something that isn't already available. So far you've just basically shit on others work, gave extremely vague descriptions of what your tool is/does, and are acting extremely immature.

I don't think i've done it justice for advertising. Considering it should be clear i am also not trying to advertise it as a public tool yet because its still being made, i also don't care. When i do do a advertising push, it will be different. As for why it's better then whats already available, well... Theres some decrepit piece of shit windows DOS program that isn't even supported anymore as literally able to even run on modern computers. As far as i can tell, there is no competition. Maybe telling people they don't need to go take computer science classes to learn how to write programs in visual studio to make their own editors, and instead just use my program that automates that entire process? I guess maybe no more google sheets for anyone using that?

Atom0s wrote:
It's great that you want to have a strong enthusiasm for your work and its capabilities, but if you want others to hold that same opinion about your tool/work, then you need to actually prove it lives up to what you claim. So far, you have done pretty much nothing to help others see why you think your tool is better than any other tool already available for modding in any capacity. ROM hacking has an extremely large amount of tools available already, so being even more niche than what you first described your tool as means that barrier is going to be even harder to break and get people interested.

Again, I really do suggest you edit your advertisement posts here and around the web where you've already posted. I also suggest that you dial back your attitude and ego a bit. Focus your time on actually making the tool be what you are claiming it to be and less on putting down others work/tools/mods. Your responses/posts on other sites like Reddit tell a much larger story in regards to your age and attitude towards others and their work.

The barrier won't be hard to break at all. Anyone who wants to mod games, for almost any game, use this program. All they have to do is see it in action and it would be painfully obvious how much better it is. Except in edge cases, it crushes almost every other utility with it's all encompassing reach. I suppose it doesn't work in online games because of desync (obviously) and some games are so small their not work modding, but even random indie steam releases, this program can handle.

The current plan is to make it so powerful, it will in almost every case, be open at all times for any mod project.
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, well... if nothing else, it's nice to see you enthusiastic about your work. Good luck with that.
atom0s

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I'm surprised with your immature responses given more context with your Reddit backlog. I'll suggest it again but I know it wont matter/change anything with you, but I do seriously suggest you curb your attitude and ego if you actually plan to have anyone ever interested in working with you on anything. As it stands now, you are doing yourself no favors at all acting the way you are. It's also the reason you have been looking for help for months with this and learning C# and continue to keep getting ghosted.

Dawnbomb wrote:
i'm not going to take a new screenshot every day when the appearance is greatly changing every moment. And i explicitly didn't post a screenshot here because it's not as good looking for a first impression. Although that didn't stop you from editing my post to include it anyway, and then proceed to complain it isn't good enough. Kind of a cheap shot to cause the problem you talk about. A description is fine enough. Most people who have used a game editor before would understand what a game editor is.

For someone that sits on Reddit insulting others' "reading comprehension", you seem to be doing quite the poor job of it yourself.

I never said you should take a screenshot "every day".

Also lying about why you didn't include it here..? Really? You didn't post it here because your post got automatically rejected for including a link as you are a new member. Your account does not have access to post the screenshot link in it, thus you removed it. The rest of the post is still copy pasted as-is. I added the screenshot as a means to help clarify what your tool even is since it's a screenshot you yourself shared in every other post about your tool that you made in the last week. But sure, it's a cheap shot?

Dawnbomb wrote:
capable puts it lightly, more like the absolute bare minimum. Sure it's not as bad as when people release a windows command prompt application and then smugly tell you your to stupid if you can't get it working, but really? Those suggestions are a joke, their terrible. I don't recommend anyone use them. Also quickBMS seems like it literally does use command prompt. gross.

I'd rather press further on how outdated it is. Anyone seriously suggesting DOS technology in 2023 is....well i'd rather not be banned, but it's completely unreasonable. My tool is still a first, it's much beyond what UGE can do, i can tell just by looking at it. As for the screenshot *again*, im not trying to make first impressions on my program release right now, i'm trying to recruit, their entirely different.

I don't think i've done it justice for advertising. Considering it should be clear i am also not trying to advertise it as a public tool yet because its still being made, i also don't care. When i do do a advertising push, it will be different. As for why it's better then whats already available, well... Theres some decrepit piece of shit windows DOS program that isn't even supported anymore as literally able to even run on modern computers. As far as i can tell, there is no competition. Maybe telling people they don't need to go take computer science classes to learn how to write programs in visual studio to make their own editors, and instead just use my program that automates that entire process? I guess maybe no more google sheets for anyone using that?

Right, it is very clear you are too immature to deal with any kind of feedback. You revert to insulting others, others work, etc. when you are met with any kind of feedback in regards to what you are doing, what you want, or what you expect.

Your post history on Reddit tells the same story. For example:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgrammingBuddies/comments/ywmtdo/i_want_a_c_mentor_and_not_have_a_mentor_fing/
http://web.archive.org/web/20230317220952/https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgrammingBuddies/comments/ywmtdo/i_want_a_c_mentor_and_not_have_a_mentor_fing/

There are various points in this post that let people gauge the kind of person you are:

1. You come off as demanding of other peoples time and offers. No one owes you anything. People that post 'offering to mentor' posts generally will get swarmed with pm's / responses immediately and can only realistically respond to so many people. Generally, the first handful that ask will get a yes or sorry my time is full now type responses, while any more after that will generally just be politely ignored.

You are clearly new to programming, regardless of it being something you admitted to in this post. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with being new, wanting to learn and being eager to find help, you need to set better expectations and actually understand the ecosystem you are looking to join. Programming is very commonly a hobby that is full of neurodivergent people. Coming into this space as an arrogant child demanding other people cater to your needs/wants will immediately push people away from you.

2. You lied about yourself in a pointless and easily disproven manner. You claim in your personal bio points that you are 'not political'. Yet, the majority of your accounts post history is within '/r/Destiny', a very well known political Twitch Streamer which has strong opinions in favor of a specific political point of view. Your own posts also show what kind of personality you have and how you treat others in any kind of conversation.

3. You shit on others to raise yourself. Most of the things you have to say about yourself are at the cost of others. While it may be indirect, it still is shitty to do and more telling of you in general. It basically says that you see yourself as 'above' or 'better' than others or that other peoples interests and hobbies are beneth you.

Let's look at those a bit more specifically:

'i live in a good apartment with a proper home office setup.' - This comes across as extremely shallow and arrogant. You are basically trying to justify that because you can afford a place where you can have a dedicated office that it means you are somehow more deserving of peoples time. People don't care where your computer is at or where you are online from.

'i don't get distracted by my phone every 20 seconds' - As I mentioned before, the ecosystem of programming is full of all kinds of ND people. This includes people who have various mental conditions such as OCD, aspergers, autism, and so on. If you think someone touching something every so often is a means to belittle them, then you are definitely in the wrong space.

'I don't have a MMO or mobile game addiction or use drugs' - Again, you are doing nothing but belittling others to try to lift yourself up above them. Someone struggling with an addiction is more than likely not even going to be in the position to seek learning a new hobby. They aren't your "competition" as you are trying to make it seem.

'i don't have any learning problems' - Yikes.. this is probably one of worst ones you said. Being ableist is definitely not something that will get you far in the programming space.

Then, when you are met with very valid critism and sound advice, you resort to the same nonsense:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgrammingBuddies/comments/ywmtdo/i_want_a_c_mentor_and_not_have_a_mentor_fing/iwli8tx/

Next, lets take a look at your response here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/INAT/comments/107ddfb/revshare_looking_for_marketeruidesigner_for/
https://web.archive.org/web/20230317231109/https://old.reddit.com/r/INAT/comments/107ddfb/revshare_looking_for_marketeruidesigner_for/

This person posted an ad/listing for their game looking for other developers to join them. (Sound familiar?) They specifically state they are looking for a UIX developer, yet you decide to reply to them and shit on their work as if you are some expert when it comes to game design, development or UIX. This was 2 months ago, meaning at that point you had only been messing aound in C#, begging for help, for around 2 months time total. But yea, you are obviously the expert right?

Their response to you started out very polite and professional, but ended with a very obvious spite at you meaning there is history there between the two of you. From what I can assume, it sounds like you aggressively messaged their team, injected your input in a manner less than ideal (which he says you did), then got butthurt they didn't respond to you immediately and blocked him. It's not hard to read between the lines when seeing things like this in regards to how you act.

---

Most I can say is good luck to you. I don't think it will do any good but I do wish for the best in people.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General programming All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: