Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

error occurred while isntalling CheatEngine: ce now malware?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mordax
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:11 am    Post subject: error occurred while isntalling CheatEngine: ce now malware? Reply with quote

hi, what's the deal with "error occurred while isntalling CheatEngine"?
Never had this before, i have 7.2 and it installed fine, I have not made any changes to my pc.

after the installer fails, i noticed an outgoing connection by some .tmp file that ce had made:

is this some malware? it doesn't make much sense though, cos it only tries to connect after the installer closes, not when it opens.

I repeat, no changes have been made to my machine and 7.2 installed just fine. please advise. thanks.

UPDATE: CHEAT ENGINE IS NOW MALWARE! WARNING TO ALL USERS!
I had to use virtual machine to check what is going on, because NO WAY i would ever trust my main PC with such malware!
it makes some sneaky connections on background and tries to install all sorts of malware! it also tries to STEAL your browser and set something else as your primary browser!

i'm so sad to see that this is the end of cheat engine, i will start using cheathappens cosmos instead. it's quite similar and has same functions. i guessd dark byte sold out finally and agreed to get paid to put malware in this amazing software. i'm really sad to see you go down this way.
RIP CE 2022

spyingmalware.JPG
 Description:
spying malware?
 Filesize:  18.08 KB
 Viewed:  4036 Time(s)

spyingmalware.JPG

Captddure.JPG
 Description:
erorrrr
 Filesize:  41.69 KB
 Viewed:  4036 Time(s)

Captddure.JPG

LeFiXER
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: error occurred while isntalling CheatEngine: ce now malw Reply with quote

mordax wrote:
hi, what's the deal with "error occurred while isntalling CheatEngine"?
Never had this before, i have 7.2 and it installed fine, I have not made any changes to my pc.

after the installer fails, i noticed an outgoing connection by some .tmp file that ce had made:

is this some malware? it doesn't make much sense though, cos it only tries to connect after the installer closes, not when it opens.

I repeat, no changes have been made to my machine and 7.2 installed just fine. please advise. thanks.

UPDATE: CHEAT ENGINE IS NOW MALWARE! WARNING TO ALL USERS!
I had to use virtual machine to check what is going on, because NO WAY i would ever trust my main PC with such malware!
it makes some sneaky connections on background and tries to install all sorts of malware! it also tries to STEAL your browser and set something else as your primary browser!

i'm so sad to see that this is the end of cheat engine, i will start using cheathappens cosmos instead. it's quite similar and has same functions. i guessd dark byte sold out finally and agreed to get paid to put malware in this amazing software. i'm really sad to see you go down this way.
RIP CE 2022

Cheat Engine is not malware. The free (non-patreon version) contains some offers, which can be declined, are seen as potentially unwanted programs (PUP). If the offers are declined/skipped then they will not install on the user's system. Even if you missed that, and the offers did install, it does not take much to remove them. So calm down and stop spreading misinformation. If it was malware DB would not make it known that these offers are there before the user even downloads the setup file.

Quote:

This installer makes use of the installcore software recomendation pluginNote: Some anti-virus programs mistakenly pick up parts of Cheat Engine as a trojan/virus. If encountering trouble while installing, or cheat engine is not functional, disable your anti-virus before installing or running Cheat Engine(More info on this particular problem can be found here)

For those that want to have Cheat engine Setup without any extra software recomendation during install, then join CE's patreon and download using this link and you'll get a clean install file

Source:https://cheatengine.org/downloads.php

Anti-virus software packages over-generalise and even mark things that are completely safe, as a threat. So please, think twice before spreading information that is not true.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

it makes some sneaky connections on background and tries to install all sorts of malware! it also tries to STEAL your browser and set something else as your primary browser
got any proof besides it making connections? (it downloads ce in the background)
or are you just parroting what your AV tells you?

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: