Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Failing to cheat UnderMine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DukeKickem
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Failing to cheat UnderMine Reply with quote

I've been trying to make myself a cheat table for the game UnderMine. I'd like to do it myself as an exercise but I seem to be doing something wrong.

I want to be able to have a cheat table for keys and bombs, both are 4 byte values. I can easily find them when starting a game but the problem is that they move around in memory for each new game. So I tried finding their pointers so I can save those, hoping this way I will always be able to edit the values when starting a new game without having to search for them again.

So I got the address of the bombs, saw what writes to that address when a bomb is added or removed and you can see the result in the attached image.

From what I gather the base address for the game is what's in the RDI register and the pointer for the bombs should be the value of the RDI register and an offset of 38 (I also tried the "RSI" register, but the value was the same as in the RDI).

But when I try to add a value manually and check the pointer checkbox and enter "38" as the offset. The value of that is 0 while I have 3 bombs.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

9FAnwCW.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.73 KB
 Viewed:  2585 Time(s)

9FAnwCW.png

Last edited by DukeKickem on Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
LeFiXER
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see how many times the instructions are accessed. The value won't update unless the instruction is accessed. RDI won't be the base address of the game but the pointer address of the value that holds your bombs.

r15 will also hold that pointer address. If you select the instruction and click Show disassembler, set a breakpoint on that instruction. See the values in the registers. Run the game again, add the value (address) held in r15 to the cheat table with the offset 38. It should correlate to your bomb value.
DukeKickem
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeFiXER wrote:
You can see how many times the instructions are accessed. The value won't update unless the instruction is accessed. RDI won't be the base address of the game but the pointer address of the value that holds your bombs.

r15 will also hold that pointer address. If you select the instruction and click Show disassembler, set a breakpoint on that instruction. See the values in the registers. Run the game again, add the value (address) held in r15 to the cheat table with the offset 38. It should correlate to your bomb value.

Oh, wow, didn't know I can add breakpoints.

But, anyway, started the game again, attached the debugger, etc. and added the value stored in r15 with an offset of 38 and it still shows "0" as its value.

Adding pics, as you can see I have 8 bombs at the moment.

Debugger view.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.08 KB
 Viewed:  2563 Time(s)

Debugger view.jpg

Addresses.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.26 KB

Addresses.jpg

Adding pointer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.86 KB

Adding pointer.jpg

LeFiXER

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say for what reason the addresses don't add up, but with mono games it's better to pull the address from the register using a script and then creating pointers based on that address.

On the instruction you placed a breakpoint, press Ctrl+A (Auto Assemble) or you can access it via Tools > Auto Assemble, in the Auto Assemble window press Ctrl, Shift + A (AOB Injection) or click Template AOB Injection.

Select the array of bytes and scan to make sure it is unique. It should be but sometimes it's not, if it isn't you just keep adding bytes to the end of the array until the AOB scan yields just 1 result. You can pull a pointer using this method.

Code:

[ENABLE]

// You can change the name of INJECT to something more fitting. (make sure all iterations of the word INJECT match the new name)
aobscan(INJECT,[the array of bytes goes here])
alloc(newmem,$1000,INJECT)
// Here we are allocating 8-bytes of memory to store the pointer address which happens to be a 64-bit value in this case. If it's a 32-bit game then use 4-bytes
alloc(pointer,8)

label(code)
label(return)

newmem:
  // mov the address held in RDI into [pointer], brackets denotes the value held at, pointer on its own is the physical address of pointer.
  mov [pointer],rdi

code:
  // original instructions
  movsxd  rax,dword ptr [rdi+38]
  mov [rbp-38],rax
  jmp return

INJECT:
  jmp newmem
  nop 3

return:
registersymbol(INJECT)
// Here we register the symbol so we can access it in the table
registersymbol(pointer)

[DISABLE]

INJECT:
  db [array of bytes goes here]

unregistersymbol(INJECT)
// Here we unregister the symbol so it isn't accidentally used should the the script be deactivated.
unregistersymbol(pointer)
dealloc(newmem)
// Finally, we deallocate the memory we allocated earlier
dealloc(pointer)

Once you activate that script, you can use the Dissect Data Structure feature to dissect the structure. In the address field type [pointer] then create a new struct (Ctrl + N). Cheat Engine will dissect the structure and give you lots of information regarding that struct. From there, you can use the offsets to add to the pointer within the table.

Add a new address, in the address field type [pointer]+offset (where offset is the offset). Set the data type accordingly and there you have it.

If I helped in any way, please give rep Smile.
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the "Add address" window, the arrow -> means "points to X", or "the value stored at this address is the address X".

The value of r15, 2AF50C960F0, is an address. This address is not necessarily a pointer. You can add 0x38 to this address to get the address you want. You don't need to dereference that address.

Uncheck the "pointer" checkbox and put "2AF50C960F0+C8" for the address to mimic what the game is doing.

Look at the CE tutorial for more information on pointers. This video on step 8 also covers the correct way to use the pointer scanner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dyIrcx8Z8g

I still think code injection is a better way of getting an address in general. Search for "injection copy" for more information.

LeFiXER

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParkourPenguin wrote:
In the "Add address" window, the arrow -> means "points to X", or "the value stored at this address is the address X".

The value of r15, 2AF50C960F0, is an address. This address is not necessarily a pointer. You can add 0x38 to this address to get the address you want. You don't need to dereference that address.

Uncheck the "pointer" checkbox and put "2AF50C960F0+C8" for the address to mimic what the game is doing.

Look at the CE tutorial for more information on pointers. This video on step 8 also covers the correct way to use the pointer scanner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dyIrcx8Z8g

I still think code injection is a better way of getting an address in general. Search for "injection copy" for more information.

I'm not 100% familiar with the terms used but I believe the script I posted previously, demonstrates what you're suggesting. Although, I know that in this case it is a struct that contains more than just the value of the item; it includes other values pertaining to the object which is a resource.
DukeKickem
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParkourPenguin wrote:

[vid]

That video tutorial and pointerscanning def saved my hide. Was successful in finding keys, will try for the others, as well and I will also look into the code injection thing.

EDIT:
Can't double-post, so just wanted to say, LeFiXER, your explanation is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too advanced for my blood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: