Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I use an existing pointer map?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials -> Pointer tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sierrebrarc
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: How do I use an existing pointer map? Reply with quote

back story:
I know how to find addresses, and I know how to update my lists.
However, the current game I'm playing has everything linked in small groups. So if I update bullets, it fixes shells and any other ammo, but everything else gets jacked.
I learned to put these groups under different headers so changing one group doesn't affect the others. More complicated to manually tweak a value in each group, but it works.
Next issue is that every time I use the shuttle, or hyperjump, or go to menu, I have to reset everything all over again.
This has led me to look at pointer maps again. However, every time I try to learn pointer maps, either the video doesn't match the version of CE I'm using and how things are done is slightly different, or the values I'm supposed to be finding ... I just don't know. So I say FK it and go back to manual tweaks.
----
Now the rest of the story.
I've downloaded a few different cheat tables for this game, and they all say the same thing, e.g. Bullets P->???????? 4 Bytes ??

I have used cheat tables from other games before, and not had issue. This game however, is driving me nuts.
Since I have no idea how pointer maps are used properly, I don't know what to tweak to get this to recognize the values I'm looking for.

I'll gladly answer any questions to the best of my ability.

P.S. I just noticed I posted to tutorials. I was looking for a solution when I said screw it I'll ask. Should I just repost somewhere else? Or would a mod like to move it?
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pointer map is just a snapshot of a process that contains pointers' addresses and values (more or less). You can use pointer maps to do a pointer scan. Using several pointer maps, each one preferably being in a different game state (e.g. a different level/map) and in a different instance of the game (exit & relaunch the game), will give you drastically better results on the first pointer scan and save you time and disk space in the long run.
See this video for more information:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dyIrcx8Z8g

If those cheat tables use code injection to copy an address (search "injection copy"), you might need to perform some action in the game for the code injection to run and populate the symbol used by the memory record. If the memory record is hidden under a script, this is probably the case. To be certain, look at the base address of the pointer path. If it's a module (e.g. "game.exe+1234"), the pointer path should just work if it isn't broken; if it's a symbol (e.g. "PlayerBase"), it probably comes from a code injection.

Sierrebrarc
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it turns out that the pointer map is outdated. From what I've been able to determine, there are no current working pointer maps for the game.

Oh well. I'll have to learn to make my own one of these days lol. Or at least how to update the one I have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials -> Pointer tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: