Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help finding various values in certain Katamari games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katach314
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Need help finding various values in certain Katamari games Reply with quote

I want to find certain values in the Katamari series of video games, but so far I've had no luck.

First, a quick summary of how Katamari gameplay goes, for clarity: it's a sort of Action-Puzzle game where you control a ball that objects stick to once you roll the ball into them. When objects stick to your ball, the ball grows, and now it can roll up larger objects. You do this until you reach the objective of the stage.

Now, I have four values that I want to find across the series:

- In the second game, We Love Katamari for the PS2 (which you can run on PCSX2), there is a level where you are rolling a ball that is on fire. If you go too long without rolling up an object (or touch water), your ball is extinguished and you lose the level. I want to find the value that determines how close your ball is to going out so that I can freeze it and play the level without fear of the ball going out.

- In the third game, Me & My Katamari for the PSP (runnable on PPSSPP), most of the levels are timed. When the timer runs out, the level ends. I want to find the value that holds how much time is left so I can freeze it and play eternally.

- In the fourth game, Beautiful Katamari for the XBOX 360 (runnable on Xenia), the size of your ball is (presumably, according to my experience with the past games) stored in a single value. I want to find this value so that I can change the size of my ball at will.

- In the fifth game, Katamari Forever for the PS3 (runnable on RPCS3), the size of your ball is also stored in a single value (maybe). I want this value found for the same reason as the previous one.

I'm asking only because my efforts to find these values by myself have failed. As someone deeply familiar with each of these games on a gameplay level (i.e. not on a technical level), I can help by providing extra information that may assist in the finding of these values.
Birdi
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of these seem realistically possible by just searching All Type/Unknown Initial Value > Increased/Decreased/Changed values as necessary. Check the option to pause the game (emulators in this case?) while scanning, so you can repeat them as necessary without worrying about how long the scans may take.

If there's a visible timer it's likely going to be a float/double, but 4byte integers are rarely used in timers as well, just depends on the game. Trial and error (and time) is your best friend here.
Katach314
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice - I think that will help me find the first two.

However, I really think I need help with the latter two. I've tried the All Types option with them (with custom Big/Little Endian for the PS3 one), and either came up empty-handed or with, like, >2,000 addresses with no way to narrow it down. Plus, they have to search billions of addresses, so the first couple searches take forever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: