Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to check what value is going to be writen to an address?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kidades
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: How to check what value is going to be writen to an address? Reply with quote

I have an address that the game constantly changes. I want to allow all values to be set except one.

For example, the game constantly changes the address to various values ranging from 0 to 100. I want to allow all those changes, except when it's going to be set to 25. In that case, I want it set to 26 instead.

How would I do this?

Currently I have a lua script with a 1ms timer that checks this address and when it finds 25 as the value it changes it to 26. This works but there is flicker, since this address determines the animation that is playing for a particular character. I'm assuming the 1ms as the timer isn't actually 1ms or maybe it takes some time to execute it so the animation starts playing for a few frames then stops.

I want to inject code that would add a condition that if the value to be set is 25, it should either just return or set 26 instead but I don't know how to do this. Can anyone give me an example?
TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think an arbitrary example will really help, I think you need to start with the CE tutorial and learn a little ASM. But here is an arbitrary example.
Code:

cmp eax,19
jne @f
  mov eax,1A
@@:

Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. It does help and I'm closer to doing what I wanted. Very Happy

Now I'm having a different problem.
The instruction that I'm replacing writes to different addresses so I need to compare both the address and the value.

Code:
newmem:
cmp rdi+00000218,1434D65D8
jne @f
cmp rax,B859706C
jne @f
mov [rdi+00000218],B859711C
@@:

originalcode:
mov [rdi+00000218],rax

When I inject this, I get an error on the 4th line cmp rax,B859706C
It seems to only accept values that are 2 bytes long and compiles only if I cut the first 2 bytes.
The first cmp works, but the value gets trimmed to 4 bytes and becomes 434D65D8 instead of 1434D65D8.

How come the first cmp accepts 4 bytes but the second one doesn't take more than 2? How can I make it compare longer values? I'm assuming the problem is caused by the fact that it's a 64 bit game.

Also, even though the address that I'm changing is a 2 byte address, the code always writes 4 bytes to that location. I only need to modify the 2 byte part. Don't know what the other 2 bytes are used for but the game crashes if I change it. Is there a way to compare only the first 2 bytes in a register? In my example, rax has 4 bytes (B859706C) but I'm only interested in checking and changing the first 2 (706C). Those first 2 bytes are always the same, while the other part seems to change on every map load.

code.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.63 KB
 Viewed:  2862 Time(s)

code.png

Kidades
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally made it work.

Fixed the cmp issue by putting the value in a register and then using cmp on 2 registers.

As for comparing and changing only the first 2 bytes, I used the smaller 2 byte register ax instead of rax, which happened to contain the value that I needed.

Code:
newmem:
mov r10,00000001434D63C0
cmp rdi,r10                                  ;works
mov r10, 0000000000000001        ;restoring r10 to original value otherwise the game crashes
jne @f
cmp ax,9B18
jne @f
mov ax,9BC8

originalcode:
mov [rdi+00000218],rax
jmp return
TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any registry you change it should be restored, if it's set just after your code then that's fine. But to save and restore a registry use PUSH and POP. Just remember it's pushing and popping the stack and it's LIFO (last in, first out).
https://wiki.cheatengine.org/index.php?title=Tutorial:Stack

Code:
push rax
push rbx
pop rbx
pop rax

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: