Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mass Effect 3 shield

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kagato1980
Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject: Mass Effect 3 shield Reply with quote

Hi, I'm beginning to learn CE, and for a challenge wanted to modify the shields in MA3...I've managed to lock them (shield full at 500), but I'm stuck when trying to dig deeper.

I can't post urls yet, but screen shot is at imgur/sPIKGey.jpg

As you can see, I found 2 values, but when checking for a write pointer, it just gives me the address I already have. Any ideas which of these 2 instructions is better to pursue/modify?

Would be nice if I can find the actual instruction that increades/decreased the shield, so I can speed it up or tweak it in other ways.
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing the first value is the correct one since it's the one that's frozen.

There is no offset in "movss [eax],xmm0", so the value of the pointer you're trying to find is probably the address itself - 0x341EF2F4. Search for the 4-byte hex value 341EF2F4 and see if something comes up.

Go to that instruction in the disassembler and scroll up to see where [ebp-4] comes from.

kagato1980
Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help..I've looked up the assembly code, but I'm still kinda stumped. I've been studying a youtube vid that goes into these kind of shared opcode instructions..I can break it on 'movss [eax],xmm0' but can't find the value in [ebp-04]?

The code below seems to init ebp-04 to zero, and I don't see it changed anywhere..it's just put into xmm0 and that's about it. In the break and trace [eax] contains the new shield value, (float) 354.0. But when I manually add ebp-04 as an address, I just get a long integer like 28012348. According to the youtube vid, these values should match.

Code:

mov [ebp-04],00000000
movzx edx,byte ptr [ecx]
inc ecx
mov [eax+1C],ecx
mov edx,[edx*4+MassEffect3.exe+1540BB0]
lea ecx,[ebp-04]
push ecx
mov ecx,[eax+18]
push eax
call edx
mov eax,[ebp+0C]
cvtsi2ss xmm0,[ebp-04]
movss [eax],xmm0
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was probably the call instruction. That code is passing ebp-04 as an argument to that function- could be an out parameter.
A jcc might also jump around "mov [ebp-04],0" if it's already initialized.

The address in ebp lies in the stack- an area of memory that temporarily stores values local to functions. It won't hold that value for long.

You could just inject at cvtsi2ss, compute the difference from the old value to the new value, and modify that difference however you see fit. This could have unintended side effects if that instruction accesses other addresses (right click "movss [eax],xmm0" in disassembler -> "Find out what addresses this instruction accesses").

kagato1980
Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the movss is used by a ton of calls, so maybe I'm better of doing a lot of pointerscans to get to the origin of the shield value..

Otherwise I could break/trace again on the movss call with a simple EAX==<shield pointer>, but in the trace I don't know how to get to/inspect the call edx above.
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trace can only look at where it started and go from there. It can't look back in time.

You could look at the callstack and compare/contrast the callers and arguments of different invocations of that function, but I'm not sure how much that would help in this case. In that little amount of code, "inc ecx" makes me think that instruction is being run in a loop.
(this is getting a little advanced - I can't explain what to do both sufficiently and succinctly, and beginners would have a hard time doing this on their own)

What exactly did you mean by "dig deeper" in your first post? If you just want to automatically find the address, try the pointer scanner (use multiple pointer maps - tutorial) or make a code injection to copy the address ("injection copy") on any access to that address. Preferably it would be an instruction that doesn't also access other addresses, but you could do something like step 9 of the CE tutorial to fix that.

kagato1980
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With dig deeper, I meant that I wanted to find the code that calculates the amount of shield that gets subtracted. That would be a nice point to replace I think.

I'll have to look up what I can do with the injection copy..what I did so far, it try and get the value/address from ebp-4. I set a trace that fired when shield was completely restored, with getInteger(EBP-4)==500, the results is in the attached screenshot. Not sure how to use these values now!

break.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.6 KB
 Viewed:  1308 Time(s)

break.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: