Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CE Basic scripting syntax (NOT asm/Lua)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arexodius
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: CE Basic scripting syntax (NOT asm/Lua) Reply with quote

Something has been frustrating me for years of using CE now...
No matter where I look I can't find any collection of information on CE's own basic scripting syntax/functions that can be used within normal cheat table entries.

For example:
Entering "getModuleSize('whateverexecutableyouarehacking.exe')" into the address field of a table entry gives that .exe's total size.
This function may be Lua (idk), but the fact that you can use functions like this right inside entries...
You can also couple it like this (exclude the brackets): ["whateverexecutableyouarehacking.exe"+getModuleSize('whateverexecutableyouarehacking.exe')] to get the final base address for the .exe you're hacking.
This is extremely useful sometimes! Where is the basic syntax for all of this??

If I remember correctly, it should also be possible to easily reference other table entries from the address field... But HOW!?
Also, the fact that you can put children under a parent entry and give a child entry an address like "+14" to offset the parent (like a pointer) is a major feature that simply is hidden.
I'm absolutely sure there's more stuff like this, but where's the info? Enough with the hidden features! Bring it out in the open!

Why aren't these things part of CE's documentation or built-in tutorial?
And if it is, why is it so d**n hard to find??
This should have it's own crystal-clear-named section on the wiki at the very least. Is there one? All I can see is Lua this, Lua that, or whatever.

Some of us aren't that interested in writing full-blown Assembly or Lua scripts or don't really need them to accomplish their cheating goals.
Personally, if I can avoid adding entire scripts to my tables I do. I'd rather just use the built-in functionality of CE, which has kinda been suffering for a while now if you ask me...
Everyone's encouraged to learn to use asm/Lua. Somehow I get the feeling it's to cover up the shortcomings of CE. It's already a very powerful hacking tool with painfully underappreciated (and well hidden) non-asm/Lua features, but it has room to grow.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getModuleSize is Lua code.
CE sometimes sends user input to Lua if it isn't "normal", and if Lua doesn't complain, CE assumes it was Lua code.

When changing a value, you can specify values of other memory records by putting the description in parenthesis. e.g. (Other Memrec Description)
This is particularly useful when freezing a memory record.

If this stuff is documented I have no idea where it would be. I learn most esoteric stuff like this from either reading DB's posts here in the forums or reading CE's source code.
The wiki is maintained by the community AFAIK. If you want to document it, go ahead.

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wiki has some of it described. Usually in one sentence covered up by other info, but it's there

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: