Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installer forces installation of crapware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tauwtech
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Installer forces installation of crapware Reply with quote

So after a fresh install I remembered that I still had to install cheatengine and since the table that I wanted to run needed a version lower than 7.0 I went out to look for a legacy version. Both the 6.7 and 6.8.1 (through github) installers force me to install the crapware that comes with the installer. The only option I get from McAfee, Avast and winzip driver updater is either 'Back' or 'Next'. Meaning either you install our shit as well or you don't get to install cheat engine at all.

I've been using cheatengine for a very long time and was always willing to overlook the in your face-ness of these ads. You've got to earn your bread right? I get it but this takes a turn for the dark and honestly, I even think it would be deemed unlawfull according to the GDPR.

I've read some older posts in which was stated that they modify the installer (or at least their part) so I'm not willing to blame this on cheatengine... but please, find a way to fix this.
DanyDollaro
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it can work but open the .ct file as a text file and replace the first line with this:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
tauwtech
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanyDollaro wrote:
I don't know if it can work but open the .ct file as a text file and replace the first line with this:
Code:

I've opened the file (I think you meant the table) but it already has
Code:
as its first line
atom0s

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are ways to opt-out of every offer. It is not always just a 'skip' button. Sometimes its a checkbox, hyper-link, extra buttons, dropdowns etc. that are part of the actual offer description. The option is not always just a button at the bottom.
tauwtech
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom0s wrote:
There are ways to opt-out of every offer. It is not always just a 'skip' button. Sometimes its a checkbox, hyper-link, extra buttons, dropdowns etc. that are part of the actual offer description. The option is not always just a button at the bottom.

That's what I thought at first but I can't find them. The only hyperlinks that are in the "offer" link you to the privacy and license agreement web page(s). After clicking through all three of the offers (now I'm getting some desktop background thing instead of the winzip thing) I expected to see checkboxes but nothing. Only the overview of what's being installed, excluding the crapware of which the offer stated that by clicking next you would accept to install, a "back", "install" and "cancel" button.

If you click on back at that point it will not show you the "offers" again but I'm damn sure that they will still install.

It makes it even more insulting that the small print of the offers read "You can remove this software at any moment through the program add/remove program" (loosely translated as I'm seeing a Dutch translation of the text).
I don't want to uninstall, remove, destroy or annihilate anything. I don't want this stuff installed in the first place.

I can show screenshots of every screen in the installer but forgive me for any Dutch language. Give me a second to post the screenshots

EDIT: Behold! The screenshots: ughh... The order is upside down
atom0s

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it could be potentially pushing the checkboxes off-screen due to your DPI based on how large the text is in the windows.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the ad server got updated so that instead of a checkbox you now have accept/decline buttons.

the older unsupported versions do not recognize the code for those buttons, only 7.0 and later do handle it. just disable your internet when installing
in a command prompt:
Code:

ipconfig /release

when done

Code:

ipconfig /renew

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
tauwtech
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
No, the ad server got updated so that instead of a checkbox you now have accept/decline buttons.

the older unsupported versions do not recognize the code for those buttons, only 7.0 and later do handle it. just disable your internet when installing
in a command prompt:
Code:

ipconfig /release

when done

Code:

ipconfig /renew

Thanks! That's what did the trick.
Cyberfreak
Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beside the already solved problem I would like to know about Dany's approach and solve the question why a simple table should be incompatible to the newest version of cheat engine, as they are simple xml files. For further problems of this kind it would be useful to know how to update a table instead of downgrading the program.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most tables work just fine with the current version (At worst perhaps tick an option 2 times the first time when mono is involved). It's just that the youtube video showed them using that specific ce version, or when the table was posted initially 6.8 was the latest and the post said "requires 6.8"

And if it doesn't work at all, then most likely the game itself got updated. Having an older ce version won't help with that either

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: