Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CE 7.0 Dark theme?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamd
Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: CE 7.0 Dark theme? This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Sad to see there is no official dark theme yet after the major release.

Does anyone know of an easy and efficient way to give CE 7.0 a dark theme?

I don't like the idea of using a custom CE version, as they can sometimes be slow to get updated for new CE releases. (all I want is a dark GUI)

Thanks for any suggestions.
atom0s

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CE's colors are based on your system colors if I recall. Has been that way for a while.

It's also open-source if you want to make it look different.
https://github.com/cheat-engine/cheat-engine

Kamd
Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom0s wrote:
CE's colors are based on your system colors if I recall. Has been that way for a while.

It's also open-source if you want to make it look different.
https://github.com/cheat-engine/cheat-engine

Thanks. Though I don't think there's any way to make my system colors 'dark' without making other things look horrible.

I also would prefer not to make a modded version to not have a hassle when new versions come out. Maybe if I get desperate though..

Maybe I'll try out those custom Windows 10 system-wide themes I've been seeing around, if I don't accidentally destroy my PC in the process.

Also, I've heard Windows 10 has very limited/no support for custom system colors anymore (without 3rd party), as I have my theme set to dark (yet very minimal app support, file explorer is one of the few)
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can write a lua script to change the color of almost any component except buttons and checkboxes

perhaps with some extra fiddling the drawing of the buttons and checkboxes can be overriden

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are aware that this is a win32 GUI issue right ? It's not a .NET or language thing

Sure, I can write my own GUI components and draw them, but I just use the tools windows provides already using the visual style windows has (Just using a different style for 2 components, is weird. E.g it misses the 3d rounded edges)

Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: CE 7.0 Dark theme? Reply with quote

Kamd wrote:

We have a dark byte already, why would you need more dark? Razz
atom0s

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t328163 wrote:
This is why object pascal and its ides suck so bad.

What lol..? How does using Pascal/Lazarus automatically mean it sucks because the end result project (Cheat Engine) doesn't come stock with a feature you want? How does that have anything to do with the language or IDE used?

Cheat Engine is open source, if you want to change how it looks or the color of the controls, feel free to go edit it yourself. There is no need for Dark Byte to waste time on themeing all of CE to look 'dark' or just different in general because a few people want it. Make it yourself, make a pull request to have it added to CE if it's in a suitable manner to be toggled on/off, etc.

t328163 wrote:
I don't understand why db isn't moving forward to .net which is the current modern way to write software for any platform thanks to .net core (which will get migrated to .net in 2020).

db can write the gui in c#.net and communicate with the modules and driver seamlessly without a problem.

You don't really have a clue what you're talking about do you? .NET Core is not meant for or made for UI applications. It does not come with any UI library built into it currently either because it would be platform dependent.

C#'s current two methods of UI rendering on Windows is WinForms and WPF. Both of which are platform dependent to Windows. (WinForms uses GDI+, WPF uses Direct3D.) Neither of them are stock in .NET Core currently (WPF will be in .NET Core 3 but again is locked to Windows only and goes against the point of what .NET Core is meant for and is not recommended to be used anyway.)

Moving Cheat Engine to a different language because of a few people wanting to have themes is a completely unrealistic mentality to have lol. Not to mention it does not work magically like the way you think it would. Even if Cheat Engine would be rewritten in .NET Core, it'd be locked to Windows for the most part with the current code base because of how it is written and what it relies on. Most of CE is heavily tied into the Win32 API layer of Windows, which is not cross-platform compatible, for obvious reasons.

Just because you saw someone else using a different language doesn't mean that language is suddenly the best and everything should be using it. There is nothing wrong with Pascal. It is still maintained and updated as well. There is no reason to change CE from using it.

t328163 wrote:
db can write the gui in c#.net and communicate with the modules and driver seamlessly without a problem.

There is no point to doing this either just for a UI change. Adding all the extra overhead from the translation layers between .NET and native things (drivers, Lua, etc.) are not worth the impacted performance either especially with the idea of just doing this for adding 'themes'.

MrViZZion
Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CE 7.0 Dark theme? This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Kamd wrote:

We have a dark byte already, why would you need more dark? Razz

LOL!

But seriously a dark theme would be so much easier on the eyes. I know i can compile CE and do it myself but it's too much work and my lazy ass can't be bothered Confused
CptBrian
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom0s wrote:

I've been using the official Windows dark themes since they first became available and regardless of the build or CE version, it's never applied a dark theme to CE, and yes I've toggled between the Windows themes to "refresh" them. Now on the latest 1903 build with CE 7.0 and it's still bright. I don't use third-party software to modify Windows colors(that's asking for problems).
Having a bunch of bright white windows up all the time when working on a game is a pain. Myself and many others have been hoping for a CE dark theme for literal ages. Anyone using a computer enough to even dabble in CE would most likely prefer a dark theme; what I'm saying is a majority of the users probably want it, not a "select few" as I've read here before.
atom0s

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CptBrian wrote:
atom0s wrote:

I've been using the official Windows dark themes since they first became available and regardless of the build or CE version, it's never applied a dark theme to CE, and yes I've toggled between the Windows themes to "refresh" them. Now on the latest 1903 build with CE 7.0 and it's still bright. I don't use third-party software to modify Windows colors(that's asking for problems).
Having a bunch of bright white windows up all the time when working on a game is a pain. Myself and many others have been hoping for a CE dark theme for literal ages. Anyone using a computer enough to even dabble in CE would most likely prefer a dark theme; what I'm saying is a majority of the users probably want it, not a "select few" as I've read here before.

Don't think it'll work with the newer Win10 theme stuff. It was based on working with the older XP, 7, 8.1 system coloring setup of Windows. I don't touch Win10 so not sure if it has this feature still or if they just scrapped it for their newer style of handling the light/dark themeing.

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

The only reason i use pascal is that it pisses people off. No other reason at all

atom0s

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t328163 wrote:
Interpreted is not slow, it's even faster than native execution you ignorant.

Oh man. It just keeps getting better lol.

t328163 wrote:
Listen to me pussycat, developers are not lazy, they want quality products and cross platform mobility.

Like I already said above, porting CE to C# does not magically make it work on Linux, MacOS, and any other platform Microsoft decides to support the .NET framework for.
That is not at all how it works.

t328163 wrote:
microsoft established .net for a reason, they want to move all development platforms to it.

Wrong again, lol. If you take even 2 seconds to just Google anything you claim, you'll easily find the real info and answers. .NET was not developed to 'move all development platforms to it', not even close to the reason it was created. It was also not created to focus on cross-platform, at all. Microsoft originally never intended on it being cross-platform. It was a unified framework for Windows-specific development. Third-party users are who made it cross-platform (ie. the Mono project). Microsoft just recently embraced that and created .NET Core to focus more on cross-platform compatibility. (Along with making .NET open source.)

Again, if you just Google any of this, you'd actually find real facts instead of spewing nonsense like you keep doing.

t328163 wrote:
tell me something, do you prefer to write 100 lines of codes that could be reduced to 10 lines in .net?

Do you even understand how the .NET framework works? It is just a set of libraries/wrappers around other code. You are only reducing writing something because someone else already did it (in this case Microsoft). There are wrappers/libraries like this for every single programming language. It does not make C#, or any other language for that matter, better.

If you took even the smallest amount of time to actually understand what the .NET framework is and does, you'd see this point is entirely invalid.

You should honestly just stop spewing nonsense. Although it is a great laugh, it's also just sad.

If you want CE in C#, make it yourself. Then feel free to benchmark it. I can guarantee you it'll be slower.

atom0s

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t328163 wrote:
atom0s, you seriously gotta stop thinking you're a godlike programmer and treat others with respect, especially those with a bachelor in software engineering.

Thanks for the expected response, delving to personal attacks because I pointed out the incorrect information in your posts. Also I don't care what kind of degree you claim to have, doesn't mean anything. Having a piece of paper saying your parents paid to put you through some courses doesn't deem you free to post nonsense online and not expect to be called out on it.

t328163 wrote:
Don't forget you're a degreeless who is just a self taught who reads programming tutorials online 24/7. (You can't patronize others while your personal knowledge is gained by others lol)

Ironic given that the person saying this paid to be taught lol. I don't need a degree to be a good developer. And that has proven itself countless times with my history of who I've worked with, what jobs I've had and what work I have currently. That piece of paper you want to cheerish so badly has never been a problem for me not having. Smile And no, I don't sit around reading tutorials 24/7. Even if I did, how is that an insult or a hurtful thing to say towards me? Just shows I am interested in actually continuing to learn and focus on my career path/choice lol.

t328163 wrote:
Yes, i am aware that .net is a library/wrapper, no shit? (patronizing again)

t328163 wrote:
Why would it be slower? .net has a powerful multithreading system using the ThreadPool class, especially the new TPL mechanism which is very effective exploiting all cores.

In object pascal you'd have to pull your own threadpool system which is something dirty and time consuming (heck, there's not even a single library in object pascal for thread pooling because there's no big community support for it)

You claim this then immediately in the next part of your post contradict yourself lol, great job.

Here, I'll help you out with what you seem to not be able to understand and do yourself. Here is how .NET implements their thread pooling in the base layer of the CLR, it is nothing more than a wrapper / manager aronud Win32 API 'CreateThread'.
https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/blob/9bd2787a9dd2aa4d2b7d4f72afebc3dbe896e896/src/vm/comthreadpool.h
https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/blob/9bd2787a9dd2aa4d2b7d4f72afebc3dbe896e896/src/vm/comthreadpool.cpp
https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/blob/04b8663d62e5f0903b1a90eb0f63009980e6a5c5/src/vm/win32threadpool.h
https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/blob/04b8663d62e5f0903b1a90eb0f63009980e6a5c5/src/vm/win32threadpool.cpp

"very effective exploiting all cores" really? It's called proper multi-threading by telling the thread which affinity group to be part of.
Something that is controled, again, by Win32 API. That API is called SetThreadGroupAffinity:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/processtopologyapi/nf-processtopologyapi-setthreadgroupaffinity

Then to claim that Lazarus/Pascal has nothing for this? Do you even check what you claim/say before you post? I'm going to assume no. Because it has thread pooling built into its own framework/library. You can find it in Lazarus' source code repo under: (since FPC 2.6.0)
https://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/trunk/components/multithreadprocs/

And more specifically defined in: https://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/trunk/components/multithreadprocs/mtprocs.pas

You can also read up more on it here under their Wiki:
https://wiki.freepascal.org/Parallel_procedures

As for others doing it themselves, here's an example of someone doing it:
http://pages.videotron.com/aminer/threadpool.htm

t328163 wrote:
Why would it be slower? .net has a powerful multithreading ...

For real...? The more you say things like this, the less I honestly believe you even have a degree lol.

t328163 wrote:
edit: you have serious issues man, you will not get along in a software companies with other people patronizing like this. you gotta let go of your ego thinking you're the only one who knows software. You're always getting into confrontation with others, that's not a quality of an experienced programmer, just an assbag who likes to brag about his knowledge. You're too obsessed with software development.

Thanks for the concern, but just judging by your attitude and posts, I can definitely say I'm older than you, and probably by a considerable amount. That said, I have had plenty of work with real / major companies and still do. I have no issues getting along with people that are actually serious in this field/industry vs. some random new comer that wants to have some hilarious opinion on why his preferred language of choice is the best and therefore every other language is bad.

I'm not bragging about myself in the slighest. I don't care what you know about me or think of me. My points are that you keep posting nonsense about Pascal simply because you hate it and because you did a course on C# and think it's the best language in the world. You don't understand how a lot of this stuff works under the hood and just make baseless assumptions about things that are all easily disproven. You keep shitting on Pascal simply because you don't know it. That's a 'you' problem. There is absolutely no reason to move CE to any other language. Pascal is more than capable of doing what CE requires, and is also able to do everything you keep complaining about.

t328163 wrote:
edit2: just because i'm not spewing too much info, well here's a bit more to shout your ego - to an execution test and compare interpreter execution to native execution, you'll see a 1ms difference, big deal. (if at all)

and that's it! that's the only "performance loss" if that's what scares you.

oh, and the entire lifecycle of the app is also interpreted? trust me, it doesn't matter as much as the load of the app.

Again, you don't understand the under-the-hood aspects of everything involved. I'm not going to keep arguing this with you, perhaps when you actually take time to learn more about how .NET works, how C# itself works, and so on, you'll have a better understand as to why your point of view is flawed and wrong.

The issue here is that you are taking things personally because people disagreed with you for wanting to make CE in C#. People pointed out that your view points are wrong, baseless and are nothing more than a childish cry because it's not in the language you prefer. Go back and look at all your recent posts regarding this. All you keep doing is shitting on a language because you don't know it.

I will say it again though, CE is open source. If you want it in C#, you're more than welcome to do it yourself.

STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love delphi and this is despite having a degree in bachelor of CS Very Happy. We were taught everything from c/c++, asm , c#, .net even java. No pascal though.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t328163 wrote:

No institution teaches pascal but there's no demand for this poop language.

This is just your opinion.

I switched over to Delphi when i learned VS didn't support inline asm in x64. Was surprised at the capabilities of delphi while also the high level language features it provided. Fell in love instantly.

I personally think the reason .net and similar interpreted languages are more popular is cause professional programmers are lazy and they have crap like deadlines to worry about with moronic bosses who demand results without understanding the whole process. Time is of essence and whatever gets the job done fastest is preferred.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: