Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Odyssey

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HackOtaku
I posted the 500000th topic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: The Odyssey Reply with quote

Story of Odysseus, thus named Odyssey, but did "Odyssey" mean anything before it, or did the term come after? Similarly, if he had been named Fodysseus would it be the Fodyssey?
br0l0ck
Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the meta info about a word is called is etymology

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-etymology-of-the-word-Odyssey

this doesnt answer the question 100% though. something else that makes it more interesting is that these epic poems were done through oral tradition, so I am curious when it was actually named The Odyssey, before it was made into print form? or not until it was actually written down?
HackOtaku
I posted the 500000th topic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brolock wrote:

this doesnt answer the question 100% though. something else that makes it more interesting is that these epic poems were done through oral tradition, so I am curious when it was actually named The Odyssey, before it was made into print form? or not until it was actually written down?

So it really does come just because his name was odysseys. I wonder how many other words have books as their origin like that. I think Shakespeare invented "elbow"
br0l0ck
Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HackOtaku wrote:
Brolock wrote:

So it really does come just because his name was odysseys. I wonder how many other words have books as their origin like that. I think Shakespeare invented "elbow"
the word Inferno is used as it is now because of the book, and a lot of the stuff became very influential for Christianity.

the western canon is amazing from the books ive read. i really want to get back to reading more from it, but right now ive been busy, but am also in the middle of a switch up into asian lit by reading the Tale of Genji which i am about 40% of the way done with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Random spam All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: