Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating a games memory question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeNoey
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Updating a games memory question Reply with quote

I know that online game hacking isn't allowed to be discussed but I'm not asking a question of how to hack an online game but I'm asking a question of how to protect a game from being hacked. I'm aware that there is a way to update a game so that all the memory addresses including pointers can be slightly changed. Could someone tell me what to google like a term for this so I can learn more about it. Would appreciate it but understand if even this isn't allowed. Thanks either way
TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Updating a games memory question Reply with quote

MikeNoey wrote:
...I'm asking a question of how to protect a game from being hacked. I'm aware that there is a way to update a game so that all the memory addresses including pointers can be slightly changed...

These 2 thing really have nothing to do with each other.
But if you change the objects/structures then their size will change, which combined with other changes can have objects/structures in different locations.

If you want to stop hacking, do server side checks and never trust the client. Anything on the client can and will be hacked, many cultures see cheating as clever not wrong/improper.

Last edited by TheyCallMeTim13 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
MikeNoey
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the response man. Yea I know that simply changing the addresses is a poor way to go about it. The game that is having issues are never going to do anything serious. the developer for the game probably doesn't have a clue what he is doing. But I had seen an example of what seems to be a simple and quick method cause I've seen it done in less than 5 minutes but had no idea what the method was known as or what to google.
TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For updating structures, you just have to find the addresses again and re-reverse the structures. You can use injection points to start the reversing, and some times you can just add a little to the structure sizes to see if you get lucky.
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is what's being done because the addresses for the 2nd game in question were all changed but only slightly. For example a particular address might of been 0x5217238 and then. it was changed to 0x521723C and It effected pretty much every single address that could be used for cheating purposes. I'll pass that info on and hope they can do something with that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: