Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mov

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Menoetius
Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Mov Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused about why some mov commands work and others do not with an initialized space in memory. I'm attempting to mov a value from the esp-stack into a space in memory and I dont know if that's the wrong thing to attempt.

Code:

globalalloc(_cmp0,$4)
//...
 mov edx,[ESP+0C]//works
  mov _cmp0,[ESP+0C]//!work
  mov _cmp0,esp //!work
  mov _cmp0,[esp] //!work
  mov [_cmp0],esp//WORKS

I might be missing something basic, but can someone explain to me why they work or do not work, and what I can attempt to make it function? I need the equivalent of "mov var,[ESP+##]" to view the variable in other scripts and was hoping to get some assistance. Thank you kindly for reading.

Shoot the Hell Outta You
TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mov Reply with quote

Menoetius wrote:
I'm a bit confused about why some mov commands work and others do not with an initialized space in memory. I'm attempting to mov a value from the esp-stack into a space in memory and I dont know if that's the wrong thing to attempt.

Code:

globalalloc(_cmp0,$4)
//...
 mov edx,[ESP+0C]//works
  mov _cmp0,[ESP+0C]//!work
  mov _cmp0,esp //!work
  mov _cmp0,[esp] //!work
  mov [_cmp0],esp//WORKS

I might be missing something basic, but can someone explain to me why they work or do not work, and what I can attempt to make it function? I need the equivalent of "mov var,[ESP+##]" to view the variable in other scripts and was hoping to get some assistance. Thank you kindly for reading.

Pay more attention to the "[]' brackets, they denote reading a value or it's address.

With "mov edx,[ESP+0C]" your moving the value at the address of "ESP+C" into EDX.

With "_cmp0,[ESP+0C]" you're trying to set the address of the symbol "_comp0" to the value at the address of "ESP+C"; and you can't do it that way, the symbols address is set when it is allocated.

With "mov _cmp0,esp"; basically doing the same as before except with the address of ESP, instead of the value at the address.

With "mov [_cmp0],esp" your setting the value of "_comp0" to the address of ESP.

Try something like this.
Code:
push eax
mov eax,[ESP+C]
mov [_comp0],eax
pop eax

http://www.felixcloutier.com/x86/MOV.html

I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"mov" instructions move some source value into a destination. The source value can be stored in an address, in a register, or as an immediate, while the destination can only be an address or a register:
Code:
// mov destination,source

mov [addr],eax  // address, register
mov [addr],5    // address, immediate
mov eax,[addr]  // register, address
mov ecx,ebx     // register, register
mov edx,7       // register, immediate

For various reasons, you can't directly move the value at one address to another address. Also, it doesn't make sense to move any value into an immediate:
Code:
// these will fail

mov [addr1],[addr2]   // can't directly move the value at one address to another address
mov 123,eax           // doesn't make sense; 123 doesn't specify a memory location

The latter reason is why your examples fail. _cmp0 is an integer that represents some location in memory. In order to clearly state it's a location in memory, you have to wrap it in square brackets:
Code:
_cmp0   - an integer value
[_cmp0] - a memory location

Menoetius
Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I'm discerning values is by viewing a certain offset in the stack. If I use something like "pop eax" will that load it into the esp stack, and shift all values down by 4, requiring me to change the offset by 4 upon loading it into the value from the esp-stack?

Code:

push eax               //eax-->esp+00, esp+00->>esp+04, etc
mov eax,[ESP+C]   //[ESP+0C] could now be [ESP+10]??
mov [var],eax        //eax holds possibly [ESP+10] instead of [ESP+0C]
pop eax                //eax<--esp+00, esp+00<--esp+04, etc

I do not know if it works akin to fld where the stack is fix-sized and it may accidentally shove off and lose pertinent values and/or change where the value is in the stack.

Thank you kindly so much for assisting me.

Shoot the Hell Outta You
TheyCallMeTim13
Wiki Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the PUSH, pushes the value on the stack so you would need to adjust the offset for ESP, sorry didn't think about that. But you seem to have it figured out. You can also set a breakpoint and follow it and see exactly how this affects the stack, but you seem to already understand.
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESP will decrease by 4 in x86 (8 in x64) for every value pushed onto it. Adjust addresses accordingly.

The thread stack doesn't work like the FPU stack. The thread stack is stored in memory and will always "grow" downward. If there's an overflow, Windows will generate an exception.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General programming All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: