Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble determining locations of mob structures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorwyn
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Trouble determining locations of mob structures Reply with quote

I am creating a bot for a 2D game -- have made a lot of progress, but the monster structures are giving me a hard time. I have found the monster memory structures and this is the information I know for sure:

- There is a static pointer to the top of a monster array in memory
- Each monster in the monster array is 0x20C in space
- Monsters and NPCs and People all go in the same monster structure
- There is info such as Coordinates, graphics, etc in each structure
- the first 4 bytes are either a pointer indicating that the mob is allocated (exists on the screen)
-- OR -- a pointer to an 'unallocated' memory slot for a monster (i.e. a pointer chain that you can follow to find all 'unallocated' slots)

- When you load the game, the game has a finite number of slots, somewhere around 40
- If you need more slots than the game originally had space for on load, then a new contiguous slot in memory is opened up to house monsters -- I call this 'overflow' memory
- If overflow memory is activated, the static pointer that pointed to the top of the monster structure will point to the new location in memory that was just opened up.
- Once overflow memory is activated, that memory will stay activated until the game is closed, however the overflow memory is used as a lower priority for assigning monsters

-----
What I am having trouble with is that I am looking for things that are allocated, not unallocated. If I were to try to code around the unallocated list, I wouldn't necessarily know where all monsters are located in memory. The things I know about these monster arrays seem to indicate that there should be a linked list for these monster structures, however I cant find any pointers that are contained within an allocated monster that point to the next allocated monster. Similarly, I cannot find an array of pointers or any pointer chain that points to allocated monsters. The only solution I can come up with right now is to create a list of where monsters could be that comes from the unallocated pointer chain, but that doesn't feel like a good solution.

Does anyone here have any ideas of things that I could search for in cheat engine that maybe would uncover a little more about how this game knows where all these monsters are in memory? Or maybe a little insight based on the information I provided that could point me to a different style of monster array that I am not aware of? (i.e. dont look for a linked list, look for X)

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to read all of this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: