Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bitwise Instructions & Binary Values/Search (Video Tut)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h3x1c
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Bitwise Instructions & Binary Values/Search (Video Tut) Reply with quote

Click the image above to watch the video!

In this tutorial, I discuss a tricky value I found in a game, and demonstrate how its value is derived through bitwise instructions, then the value being read by the bits in each nibble of a byte! I also show you a quick example of using binary search in CE.

If you're wondering what the number to the right of the ^ represents in the results of the binary search, it's the start bit (or startbit, one word, which you can search the CE forum for). If you'd like to see an example to help it click, try starting with this thread.

Enjoy!

I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

You can set your address entry type to binary and tell it how many bits you want to display.
After you change it to binary, you can right-click the entry and select Show as binary.
So you can do your bit manipulations directly within CE, instead of Calculator.

Just want to add to your description and state that each bit likely represents a specific skull, not just any old skull.
The first bit likely represents the skull found on the first level. The second bit is the skull on the second level. etc.
This means if you missed the first skull and got the second, your 4-byte address would be a 2 (binary 0010).

I assume you can replay a level and this lets the game know that you already have the skull on level 2.
That way it doesn't just let you get the skull on level 2 twice to increase your bits to (0011).
h3x1c
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zanzer wrote:
You can set your address entry type to binary and tell it how many bits you want to display.
After you change it to binary, you can right-click the entry and select Show as binary.
So you can do your bit manipulations directly within CE, instead of Calculator.

Yes, thanks for adding this! I was playing around with this earlier today after finding I could do this. I'm going to cover it in another video since it's a bit (no pun intended) confusing initially.

Zanzer wrote:
Just want to add to your description and state that each bit likely represents a specific skull, not just any old skull.
The first bit likely represents the skull found on the first level. The second bit is the skull on the second level. etc.
This means if you missed the first skull and got the second, your 4-byte address would be a 2 (binary 0010).

I assume you can replay a level and this lets the game know that you already have the skull on level 2.
That way it doesn't just let you get the skull on level 2 twice to increase your bits to (0011).

This is an excellent point to consider. There are more levels than skulls, though each level has a skull; however, each skull is a 1-up, so perhaps what you've said above holds true and there are additional bits outside the range of what I used, as well as a check for if you have 30 skulls, don't add anymore to the total.

There might even be a way to use/sell/etc. skulls later which would allow that value to change/reset, but I'm not sure. Great recommendation, though; I'm going to go try it in a second by getting the first, then third skull and see which bits are set to 1. Thanks, Zanzer! Very Happy

EDIT: Keen eye, man. You're exactly right!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: