Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions regarding DBVM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
predprey
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Questions regarding DBVM Reply with quote

I'm interested in trying out ultimap, but I'm a little apprehensive towards using DBVM due to a few queries I have.

1. From what I read, DBVM has a intrinsic chance of crashing each time it offloads a CPU core, "a 1 in 5 chance of 'winning' a crash".
I'm using a quad core CPU, so if I do not turn off cores in Windows, the chance for crashing would work out to
20% +
80% x 20% +
80% x 80% x 20% +
80% x 80% x 80% x 20% = 59.04% ≈ 60%

So is the chance of crashing really 20%? And if it is, is it recommended to use only one core?

2. From what I understand, crashes are due to offloading of processes during runtime to DBVM. Booting with the DBVM, similar to other VMs, would not require that. So why is booting with DBVM still, quote, "a gamble"? If not, is it possible to use all cores without crashing by booting DBVM?

3. When a crash occurs, will my hardware be damaged or drives get corrupted inadvertently? I make it a point to run chkdsk after crashing during overlocks stress testing and usually there will be a few bad records (not data but not exactly comforting), but I still find it a hassle as the hard drives take a few days to finish.

4. What is the amount of overhead associated with running DBVM? Performance would also take a hit from deactivated cores. I reckon it is not recommended for 24/7 usage and only when searching for instructions?

Thanks
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: Depends on your system. For some it will work 100% every time, others not so much.
The latest build in 6.5 and later is more stable though.
And if you do get a crash, try loading cpu per cpu. (rightclick your system supports dbvm)

Also, a 'crash' just means frozen computer or a bsod. Usually no disk corruption

2:
When booting windows, it still runs a portion in real-mode (16-bit) the original VT instruction set (which DBVM is made for) doesn't support virtualizing that yet, so it is emulated in software. But since it's just an emulation some things can go wrong (there is a thing like unreal-mode which is weird to implement)
If it works or not mainly depends on your mainboard's BIOS

Perhaps a future version will deal with this better

3:
It will just freeze, or give you a BSOD that a cpu has stopped responding.
It doesn't affect active DMA transfers and shouldn't cause a hardware reset
There is always a chance that a file record doesn't finish writing while offloading was busy which can cause some bad records (wrong filesize) but that usually isn't a big issue.

I have just checked the harddisk of my dbvm test system and no disk issues

I believe if you set your harddisk to no writeback cache, the chances of disk corruption will be a lot less

4: I'm not exactly sure how much but not too much. It depends on if the game/app is limited by the cpu or gpu in the first place. E.g. I can play games like the recent Doom with DBVM running still at 60fps with ultra settings at 1920x1080

now if you run Ultimap, then yes, the game will run to a crawl, so sometimes a few fps per minute. So run the game windowed, as alt-tab may be too slow

--

Also, if you have an intel core x 6xxx next version will probably have a ultimap version that can run without dbvm (can't say anything about speed right now though)

(oh yes, if you have an AMD, then ultimap won't work. DBVM or not)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
cooleko
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

I have used ultimap 5-10 times, never crashed my computer for me. I have had it hang CE a few times, but just close and reopen, try again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: