Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OpenCandy Malware Really?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hedbsibfisufb
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: OpenCandy Malware Really? Reply with quote

I just downloaded cheat engine from your website then my top of the line antivirus stopped me and said there was malware in the files named OpenCandy so i searched it up and it was a harmfull virus/malware! DOWNT DOWNLOAD CHEAT ENGINE!!!! Nice Try but i got rid of it before anything could happen thx! Shocked Very Happy Mad Razz Cool
atom0s

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if people read the topics already posted here before jumping to conclusions..

Cheat Engine's installer comes bundled with some share-ware / adware as a way of payback for the work that Dark Byte does. You have the option to choose no while installing the software if you actually pay attention to what you are doing and don't just click next immediately. If you read the options and choose no properly nothing but Cheat Engine will be installed.

Rydian
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually an ad-displaying thing for the installer, and there's a standalone and no-ad option on the download page.
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang it, we failed to infect another noob. People must be getting smarter Sad
Gniarf
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the bright side: we spared ourself yet another thread about freezing a display value or a skype assistance request. That's some filtering.

Which gives me an idea, we could require people to type "I understand that hacking online games with cheat engine is forbidden" in the installer.

Zanzer
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should add a simple math problem "2 + 2 * 2" and deny anyone answering "8".
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

we could require people to type "I understand that hacking online games with cheat engine is forbidden" in the installer.

It is on this forum's registration as one of the possible questions to answer.
Quote:

Are you allowed to post online game specific hack questions on this forum? (yes/no):

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
CEForumMember
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
Quote:

we could require people to type "I understand that hacking online games with cheat engine is forbidden" in the installer.

It is on this forum's registration as one of the possible questions to answer.
Quote:

Are you allowed to post online game specific hack questions on this forum? (yes/no):

First post after that registration: How do you hack online games?

How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom0s wrote:
It would be nice if people read the topics already posted here before jumping to conclusions..

Cheat Engine's installer comes bundled with some share-ware / adware as a way of payback for the work that Dark Byte does. You have the option to choose no while installing the software if you actually pay attention to what you are doing and don't just click next immediately. If you read the options and choose no properly nothing but Cheat Engine will be installed.

OpenCandy does not accept any liability for damages caused by their affiliate generated offers. They say they screen their affiliates and their offers, but you still end up with fiascoes such as this: Utorrent quietly installs bitcoin miner (google this as I cannot post links). OpenCandy is different because it isn't just the same offer for that yahoo tool bar or that quirky weather application. The offer can be anything that an affiliate with OpenCandy who is paying to advertise desires.

This is very problematic since you can make an offer seem completely legitimate with a yes or no prompt while it dubiously installs in the background without consent, not only does OpenCandy execute software from unknown vendors, due to the nature of dynamic content offering it is inherently dangerous. This is why it is now considered a potentially unwanted program, programs that now contain OpenCandy are sometimes flagged as adware etc.

For example, this bitcoin mining software had the potential to raise GPU temps to unsafe levels that could cause damage to the card, it would run when you were not using your GPU or in some cases it would run while you were playing a game tanking your frame rate. This is just one example of something that could have been incredibly criminal such as stealing user information etc.

I have had this happen to me on two different occasions using software bundled with OpenCandy, different offers were installed despite my hitting NO silently in the background due to rogue offers. This has also happened to friends.

tl;dr opencandy is not to be trusted because it does not use static content offering, dynamic offers are a security risk and not to be trusted (atleast you knew that static yahoo tool bar offer had been around for a while and you knew what to expect.) You have been warned. It has proven its self to be a flight risk in the years since it's inception. It's also had questionable issues with user privacy.

The good news is that you can run an installer without OpenCandy. The designer was kind enough to make an out. You can make a batch file named anything, putting start then the program name then /nocandy so an example would be: Start CheatEngine64.exe /nocandy. This effectively disables the OpenCandy. The caveat is if the installer is packaged in another executable it is likely that it will not pass the /nocandy flag to the installer.

Trying to bring a little realistic information to this topic to educate. Personally I don't really care about it being in CE, it's easily disabled. In the event the /nocandy flag fails, you can block read/write access and make empty files where the nocandy garbage loads from in appdata. Confused
RonRay
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rydian wrote:
That's actually an ad-displaying thing for the installer, and there's a standalone and no-ad option on the download page.

All I can find on the Downloads page is the default installer (containing the OpenCandy malware) and the RAR file that requires the user to clear the registry of the old version and install registry keys and paths for the new 6.51 version, which very few will know how to correctly accomplish.
And BTW... The reason I refer to OpenCandy as "Malware", is the installer that is offered NOW does NOT allow you to opt out of OpenCandy. You either agree to the installation of BOTH (Cheat Engine & OpenCandy) or you decline BOTH!

Also, just by right clicking the download link and choosing "Save link as..." last week, a file was AUTOMATICALLY placed into my C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp directory that was unknown, but Avast recognized it as a virus. The file was "w_14WHSD.EXE". Google still finds no reference to that file name!
Of course I removed it!

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a screenshot where you can't opt out ? (If it's grey. Have you tried clicking on the grey part anyhow?)

Also just clicking save as... downloading another file? Nothing on my website does that. Check that your browser is up to date. Perhaps you visited a bad site earlier that used a browser exploit to install something under your right mouse click event. (A lot of people find ce after spending some time searching for game hacks. And a lot of sites with exploits use attractive titles to lure people in)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Bill Nye The Russian Spy
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Where? Reply with quote

Rydian wrote:

Which link on the download page do I click? I can't find it.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since people are dumb and can only see cartoons clearly even in real life, i took some help from Pokemon Go which is helping blind people across the world to follow the roads. Hopefully, your eyes will work now

++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Your link doesn't work, STN. Very Happy
Tonym16
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually hes right cheat engins is bundled with MALWARE , that is a fact. I installed cheat engine correctly i even made sure to click no to the bundled software ( cant rememeber what it was but i clearly said NO). HOWEVER the .exe still installed malware on my pc.

My pc was clean before install and after malware byte's found 66 infected files .It installed a search engine, fake malware bytes ( it installed all these without asking) and something called chromium ( a proven malware ), and many other infections im not even sure what they called.

Luckily i know what im doing and was able to remove all infections. It also tried changing my browser.

It was very difficult to uninstall the programs ( using windows add/remove thingy dont work). Luckily going through reedit and using malware bytes did the trick.

Also malware byte classes parts of cheat engine itself as malware because of user upload reports. That should tell you how many people have been infected.

very sad indeed as the program itself was useful.Until someone creates a malware free version i would avoid CHEAT ENGINE like the plague. Most people wont even know they infected as it was very cleverly done as they claim you will get false positive from anti virus ( this is true, so many dumb people will turn of AV to install this rofl which is when this thing goes to town).

You dont need to turn of AV to make the program work you just need to give UAC access. Howver that false positive is not what im talking about i am talking about real MALWARE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: