Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Views on Mantle?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel.
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Views on Mantle? Reply with quote

Just curious on what you guys think of Mantle
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Views on Mantle? This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Daniel. wrote:
Just curious on what you guys think of Mantle

Anything that can potentially boost performance without increasing cost is a good thing, in my humble opinion. It seems likely to be more portable than DirectX as well, which doesn't hurt - especially with MS's tradition of bundling DirectX with OS upgrades. Chances are that it will be quickly picked up by some or all middleware providers (really, just bringing it to Unreal, iD, Frostbite and Unity would enable most mainstream games) or that it already has. I've heard a lot of naysayers, which befuddles me, but I don't see any reason not to like it in principle. As for performance, we'll have to wait and see.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, the lower to the hardware the better.

DirectX has become a bit bloated with all the special paths , hooks, redirects that it slows down a bit. Also, microsoft's stubbornness to only let newer operating systems use features of the new DX features is a thorn in my eyes.

But not sure about portability. OpenGL is more portable, and has the same access to the graphics card that directX has and more, as long as you make use of device specific extensions.
So not sure what the difference is between Mantle and device specific OpenGL code

Only fear is that some games might become AMD only because the developer didn't add in a code path for non AMD systems. (I doubt it, but who knows. Anyone remembers 3Dfx ?)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Daniel.
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know all the details to mantle, but is it sort of like Nvidia's PhsyX?

All I heard was that it was going to boost framerates for people with AMD GPU's

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's AMDs version of Direct3D / OpenGL. It is a full graphics rendering API.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/mantle/Pages/mantle.aspx

The idea and premise behind it looks nice and all, but I don't see it being something that catches on and is outdated in the near future. When one company develops something like this, it tends to get copied fairly quickly. I would say we will probably see similar technologies hit OpenGL/D3D fairly soon now too.

On top of that, the fact that currently this requires AMD hardware is going to definitely not get too many people hooked from the start, where other APIs as mentioned above work on any hardware.

It's a wait and see how it pans out. Some major titles have adapted it already so that could be a big plus for AMD to get a good jump on pushing this technology.

br0l0ck
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the performance increases it brings on more than just a couple games, and if it even gets picked up and widely used. It may end up becoming an option on only a few games here and there and then forgotten
nvrdft
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, the lower to the hardware the better.

DirectX has become a bit bloated with all the special paths , hooks, redirects that it slows down a bit. Also, microsoft's stubbornness to only let newer operating systems use features of the new DX features is a thorn in my eyes.

But not sure about portability. OpenGL is more portable, and has the same access to the graphics card that directX has and more, as long as you make use of device specific extensions.
So not sure what the difference is between Mantle and device specific OpenGL code
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: